Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Alex is 15 and has been since his birthday.

Alex turned 15 on Oct. 29 and my dad turned 85 on the very same day. It has just taken me that long to post about it. Sigh.....

My dad and Alex try to be together every year. So far, it has worked out great. My parents usually go to St. George, Utah for a little break in October so they are able so stop in on their way there or on there way home, which every one works and is closer to their special day. We have gone to Idaho a few times for the big celebration too. I like this tradition. Alex is named after my dad, which is an honor for Alex.

My dad is amazing. I know a lot of people say that about people they know, but my dad really is. He came from humble beginnings and has done incredible things with lots of elbow grease and a huge amount of faith. Plus, a good wife helped a lot. I always remind Alex to be like his grandfather. If he is, even in a small way Alex will be great.

Since my dad has everything and really doesn't need anything, I always buy him cereal for his b-day. He will NOT pay more than $2.00 a box, so he never gets the good kinds. I always make my selection from the really good kinds. We also have a good cake. This year Alex actually put 85 candles on the cake for my dad and 15 on a cake for himself. Let me tell you, that is a lot of flame.

Alex picked out every thing he got. He is at that age. I took him to Scheel's and he picked out his b-day.
He is such a sweet boy and such a joy. He lives life to the fullest and I think he doesn't have any regrets. He never lets anything hold him back. He makes our family smile.

I made Alex an ice cream cake for the actual day of his b-day. We ate it late as that night he had b-ball tryouts (he made the team). Thanks to Pinterest, I got the idea to stack ice cream sandwiches and then frost it with whipped cream and then drizzle with caremel the hard shell kind and chocolate sauce. Man, it was SO GOOD! I have a picture of it somewhere, but I can't find it.




2 comments:

Circe said...

So cool!

Glenda said...

Thanks for posting this...really good picture of dad.