Skip to main content

The heart of it all

Just thought you might want a quick update on Gracie, the baby I mentioned earlier this week. She is on life support as her new heart is not responding. It is not a rejection they feel like the heart was damaged in transit or something. She can only live 2 weeks on life support, so they have decided to put in a Berlin heart, which is an artificial heart. They are going to do this next Tuesday or Wednesday. This will give her time to heal and have a "normal" life until they can get another heart. The hard part is that they have only done 2 Berlin Hearts. One patient lived and now has a new heart, the other died. The family is trying this as a last effort for Gracie.

This Sunday is fast Sunday for those who belong to my faith. Please fast for her. If you belong to another faith, please pray for her that day. Our united effort will help. Even if she does die, our united prayers will help her family.

On our home front. The doctors got Austin some new meds last week after the recall. It was the same stuff, just a lower dose (so he took a double dose of it) but it wasn't extended release. It was so obvious this med was not going to work for him. Last week, Austin was so sick. He was tired and worn out. It was hard to see him like that again. He said the irregular beats were happening all the time and they really exhaust him. On Sunday we hooked him up to our machine we have at home and sent a report of his heart to the hospital. They called on Monday and said he was having so many irregular beats they were worried his defibrillator would go off not to mention how awful he was feeling. They immediately knew the meds that weren't extended release weren't going to cut it.

Our search began. All the generics have been pulled. So the doctors tried to find the name brand. Unfortunately our insurance wouldn't pay for it so our hospital and doctors said they would get their attorney to write the insurance and tell them he had to have the name brand and they had to pay for it. They said this would work. Of course, we hit another wall. We couldn't even find the drug to have the insurance pay for it. There is now a national shortage due to the recall.

By this point I had had it. Jay went up to the hospital and found Austin's EP doctor. An EP doctor does the electrical system in the heart. Austin has a plumbing doctor, an electrical doctor, a defibrillator doctor and a surgeon. Just FYI. Anyway, Jay, the EP doctor and the defibrillator doctor met and decided to try a completely different drug. They hadn't entertained this before because Austin as asthma. He has been med free for 2 years so they felt it would probably be okay to try this other drug. Really, what other options did we have? He started that new drug on Tuesday and it is also extended release. I am happy to report that yesterday and today he is back to normal. He has energy again and the irregular beats have stopped. The doctors are wonderful and have been calling and checking up on him. They are thrilled that this is working.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Our hearts and prayers are with Gracie and her family, and we will be fasting for them too. Good news about the alternate meds for Austin. Praying that it will keep maintaining. We love Austin.
Valorie said…
I have been following little Gracie's blog, and will add her to our prayers on Fast Sunday. I'm glad Austin found some meds. How furstrating as a parent it must be, to know what your child needs but not be able to get it.
Lisa~~ said…
So happy that Austin has found some meds that are working for him.

Sending good thoughts to baby Gracie.
Anonymous said…
oh my. So much your heart has been carrying. A big hug to you, my friend and prayers for Gracie and Austin.
The Stanley's said…
I love you all. What a relief Austin.
Dione said…
I can't even imagine the things you have gone through. You are amazing. And Austin, what a courageous young man. I'm glad they found something that will work!

Gracie and her family are all so beautiful both inside and out. I hate to see people hurting. I would love to join you and others in fasting and praying for them. I really hope things turn out well.
Laurel, you have to check out Gracie's latest update- I am just sick over it. I couldn't keep the tears back as I read that her dad said it's like they have been saying good-bye ever since they said hello.

I'm glad that things have been worked out for Austin. These heart kids really are worth every stress! I loved the pics of him in the patriotic program- I agree, what a handsome boy!

Love
Kim
Claudia said…
That's awesome--so glad they found something that worked!
Erin said…
I haven't been on the computer... I am just so sad for little Grqacie's family. My heart aches for them. I know too well, the pain they are going through. It is so hard to think of others having to endure it. I am so happy that Austin's medication dilemna has been resolved. What a blessing for your family, and for so many who love Austin, and want him to feel his best!

Popular posts from this blog

Experimental learning

At my kids' school, the take one week out of the year where they get to learn hands-on about some sort of subject. Last year Alex did Art. One year he did physical fitness. This year he did World Religions. They visited Buddhist, Hindu, LDS, Catholic, Muslim, Jewish and Greek Orthodox churches. They learned about their teachings and about their traditions. I went to the Hindu temple with them. It was interesting to learn about the religion, see their temple and they got to race llamas and see many gorgeous animals. The lady who taught us about Hindu, had a parrot she put down by Alex's lunch and let him eat off of his plate. She said they believe the parrot, or any animal is equal to people and the bird should be able to eat from Alex's plate. Alex was not thrilled. He was polite though and let it happen. Since they are vegetarians, they prepared for us a traditional lunch. It was very good. We learned a lot. Here are some of my favorite pictures. I videotaped the kids raci...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...