Last week we received Maylin's official certificate of citizenship. I was really moved by the following statement from a letter from Pres. Bush. "Americans are united across the generations by grand and enduring ideals. The grandest of these ideals is an unfolding promise that everyone belongs, that everyone deserves a chance, and that no insignificant person was ever born."
I was particularly touched by this after spending time in China and actually seeing how their choices are limited, and how these choices really keep them from having the things mentioned in that quote. A simple example would be Maylin's birth mother's right to keep her. Her choices were limited, thus her future was decided for her. Far to often, I am saddened by the complaining that goes on between Americans. From my experience and for all of those who have had experiences with a foreign country like China, I am sure we have felt that maybe we take things for granted and are not truly grateful for what we really have. Maybe we could make a list of things we wouldn't have if we lived in a different place. My list would be topped off with the names of my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th children. May all of us, no matter what political party, take time this year to be grateful and appreciative of what we have! It truly is a joy to have the freedom of American citizenship!
Comments
I am grateful that my children have had the opportunity of education - including their public school years - that has prepared them to pursue occupations that will provide for their families and bring them respect and rewards through many years. This is denied to so many people throughout the world.