Skip to main content

First Feast

Tonight we went to a First Feast celebration in which the very first Thanksgiving in 1621 was recreated. The decor, the food, the activities and the guests...Miles Standish, William Bradford and the likes were in attendance. The actors that played those from the first feast were amazing. Never breaking character. We ate without forks as they explained the first settlers believed they were the Devil's pitchfork and shouldn't be used. We ate amazing grape juice, greens, corn pudding, pumpkin, cabbage and leeks, turkey, smoked salmon and pork. We also had goat's milk and cheese with a wonderful hard bread. It was very fun to go and it helped make Thanksgiving seem more than the over-eating, football holiday, pre-Christmas sales day it has become. We all had a blast.
 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa








Comments

That looks like so much fun! We need to take Pearl to something like that. She has been studying about the pilgrims at school and I think that she is getting a little confused with the pioneers...it is still all so new for her! A visual experience like the First Feast dinner would probably be a great thing for her...and fun for everyone.

Kim
RamblingMother said…
what fun. wish we had that here!
The Stanley's said…
You go to all of the cool things. Was this part of your school? It looks very interesting and fun. I do have time to change the menu for Thursday but, I do believe my family would revolt...Hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving!
Valorie said…
Laurel,
Where was this at. What a great idea. I would love my kids to experience that.
grandma GiGI said…
Sounds so fun. WIsh we could do fun stuff like that. Nothing happens in Idaho (that I'm aware of)
Anonymous said…
What a great idea...except for the leeks..yuck! I love that you do so many creative things to celebrate holidays. Happy Thanksgiving:)
hooli said…
speaking of thanksgiving... do you have a copy of my mom's sweet potatoe/praline recipe? I'm supposed to bring it to a dinner... and I can't find my copy. I can't get a hold of my mom... so I hope you can help.

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...