Skip to main content

Reflections of life

This year has been one that has caused me to reflect on who I am, on what I am doing and on what life is really about. Life is very fragile. It can be gone in a minute. Yet, life is wonderful. Life is fun, adventurous and a huge learning experience. Sometimes the painful periods definitely out way the good, but when the good things come, they are very, very good and sweet. I know it is true when the scriptures teach us that there is opposition in all things.

This year I have seen my son suffer, I have suffered, I have seen my closest friend worry and pray over her husband when he was diagnosed with cancer, I have seen marriages fail, businesses fail, friendships fail, people cry and struggle. But I have also seen celebrations of returned health,celebrations for small miracles, marriages come together, friendships bloom and I have seen people find inner strength that they never knew they had. I think the moment all these thoughts came together, creating the new me, was this year on my father's 80th birthday. My father has always been young. He is even very young for 80, but this year I began to notice that even him, the man that has been our strength, is feeling the weaknesses of age. As I watched my sons help him put up his Christmas lights, I thought about the circle of life and how we truly end up helping and taking care of those who took care of us in our youth. Even now, my father takes care of us. My brother has had a very difficult year and my father has been by his side every moment. However, this year is different than the past for we have had to help him along his way. It may just be doing the Christmas lights, hanging a picture or fixing his garage door for him, but it has been help. It is help that wasn't needed years ago. But help that is gladly given. Each night I pray that my parents lives' will be extended. I am not ready for them to be in their later years. I hate hearing about their friends that have died, they are my friends' parents. I know it will be my turn to loose them someday, for it is the cycle of life. I just hope and pray it is later than sooner. It is hard to watch your parents age. I don't care who you are or how old you are. Parent are parents and that change is difficult to swallow.

Here are some pictures of my children with their grandparents. What treasured photos and memories they bring.
 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
That was a beautiful post Laurel. It is difficult to see our parents grow older and unable to do some of the things they used to do. Thank heavens we know there is a plan and the relationships we have in this life can continue in a more perfect place.
Erin said…
Such lovely photographs! We never seem to take enough photos of the grandparents with their grandchildren. I have lost a parent... and it is very, very painful to be without him. I do feel his love for me often, though. It is such a blessing to me to know that my father knew just how much he was loved, as your parents surely do! Life can be hard sometimes... it is always amazing to look back on all of the difficult things you have been through, and wonder how you did it, isn't it?
Lisa and Tate said…
Beautiful posts...

I am right there with the aging parents. I forget how old they really are as I watch my almost 79 yr old dad climb up and down the ladder cleaning my rain gutter, or expect my 74 yr oldd mom to help me watch Tate. Prayering the blessing of health for both our parents.
Lisa~~ said…
How wonderful that your children have their grandparents on their lives and vise versa such a treasure.
Anonymous said…
Bless your heart, life is fragile. I also hope it is later rather than sooner too!
Valorie said…
Laurel, that was a very thought provoking post. Thank you.
The Stanley's said…
Those pictures are treasures.
We loved seeing you last night at another event that is part of the circle of life. Seeing our young women marry and have families of their own. This is a beautiful life. I love it! I am so thankful for the experience....You are my friend!!!
RamblingMother said…
That is a sweet tribute to your dad. Type of post to make us think about our families with a little more gratitude.
grandma GiGI said…
Thank you for your sweet thoughts.
Yes, we are older and our bodies know it but somehow our minds don't.

p.s. Couldn't you have found an uglier picture of me?
Susan said…
That is just beautiful! Thank you for sharing. I can hardly believe he is 80, he does not look it!
hooli said…
And yet he has a teenager's car!

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...