Skip to main content

What day is it?

Literally, I am asking. What day is it? Where in the heck has time gone? The bigger question is where has my mind gone? On Sunday our friends Eliza and Tiffany came over to get eggs and for a visit. We loved having them so we set up a playdate for today. Maylin and I talked about it during the week. But then the old mind went blank. Tiffany called today to confirm. I literally could not figure out what she was talking about. She must think I am an idiot. I am I think...or I am brain dead.

I think I will blame it on age. Kenzie had a orthodontist appointment last week. Completely forgot about it until I just happened to read my calendar. It gets worse. On the ride there, I literally forgot where we were going. I was getting to the big intersection and for the life of me, my mind was completely blank. Finally I asked Kenzie, not wanting to miss the turn, where we were going. She looked at me like "you are kidding" and said "the orthodontist. Sheesh mom, are you losing it?" I think I am.

It could be that I have to much on my mind. Or it could be that I am old. Saturday we went to a girl's wedding whom I taught in the Young Women program at our church. I met her when she was 12. I asked her at the wedding how old she was. She replied 25!!!! I was 27 when I met her. Crud. I am old. Then I took Kenzie to her cooking class this week. The teacher was a girl from my high school. She looked at me and said,"What it has been 22 years?" For a minute I thought she must be kidding....I am only 22 now. Then reality hit. I have been out that long. Ugh....

The last insult to injury this week is that my baby Austin who will be 16 in 3 weeks got asked out to a holiday girl's choice dance. That is right people, a date. We have our kids wait until 16 to date, but that is here. It went to fast. I guess it is to late to change that to 20 now that he has an invite. I remember when I turned 16. I was on a walk with my friend, Liz, that morning. When we got home my mom had made a HUGE sign that spread across the front of the house that said, "Hey boys! Laurel is 16 today." Apparently news is slow to travel in Idaho. No boy called for 6 months. To me it seems like yesterday. Yet, now my child is that age. I can't believe he will be dating. The girl that asked him seems nice (never met her, but other parents think she is great). I will post pictures when the big day arrives. That is if I remember.

Here is a picture for the far away grandparents.

Comments

Eliza2006 said…
It was fun to see you! I'm glad I called to confirm!!!!
Anonymous said…
Awww girlie, it's spreading fast to all of us. Give yourself a break and hang in there!
Erin said…
I am with you Laurel. The list of things I have forgotten recently is long and involved. I am excited for Austin. Here you go... a new phase! (That sign your mother made just cracked me up!)
Valorie said…
Laurel, I'm in the same boat as you. They say great minds think (or don't think) alike. If I am like you, then I must be doing something right. Congratulations Austin, how fun. Ryan is right there with you, although no dates yet. :)
grandma GiGI said…
Your tale of woe sounds very familiar. That happens to me all the time and it is scary! But goodness you are just to young for that!
My Hillary turns 15 in a few weeks, so I have another year before I will be making giant signs and taking out a page in our local newspaper to warn everyone of the newest driver on our streets (yeah, I can beat your mom any day for embarassing mom things). Really, it is all getting scary- I can't believe how fast they are growing up!

I am laughing about your latest comment on my blog. If you only knew how we are usually hanging by a thread around here...and as far as our extended family goes...there's a reason some are leaving to go to Vegas and some from Vegas are coming up here :)

Love
Kim
hooli said…
around here we call it crazy. but you know, whatever. LOVE YA!
Anonymous said…
Congratulations to Austin on his 16th birthday. A date right away. Austin is the kind of boy any girl wants to hang out with. Too bad Em isn't a little older. Her Baba says she can't date until she is 26. Hang in there, Laurel!
Dione said…
I love that you forgot on your way to the orthodontist! That's great!

Just last spring I dropped my 5 year old off at dance class. I knew I had an hour so I kicked around Target and found myself running a few minutes late. As I arrived it hit me that class is actually only 45 minutes, so I apologized and asked what time class ended. Turned out it ended over an hour ago - I must have had a major brain cramp because I dropped her off about 5 minutes before class was to end and left the dance teacher babysitting for over an hour.
Rachel said…
Kinda sounds like you have pregnancy brain. That's so exciting about Austin. He'd be the best date, such a gentleman.

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...