Skip to main content

Purge

Today we went to a Chinese New Year's Party. Thanks Circe! While there, I talked to a lot of great people. One lady said she loved my blog and I had so many happy things going on. Of course, I told her I usually don't blog about the yucky things. Obviously, I do to a very small extent, air my unhappy or dirty laundry, if you will, but mostly I keep it upbeat. Maybe it is because that is what I want to remember. Maybe I don't want the world to know how truly dysfunctional I feel I am. I know I am my worst judge and I tend to look at the bad more than the good, but whatever the reason, please know my life is not perfect. I struggle. I struggle a lot, in fact.

Since January, I have been suffering from something. Some may call it seasonal depression or the hazy day blues or the BLAHS. Whatever it is called it sucks. My sister called me the other day. She too is suffering a smidgen from the blahs. It was nice to know I am not alone. Talked to one of the moms at the party, they were feeling the same. Maybe I am not alone in my need for sun, warmth, a happy feeling inside. The other day I smiled. Not shocking I know, but this is what is....my husband said to me, "Wow. You smiled. I haven't seen that for awhile." Slam. I guess I have been bad enough someone else has noticed. I thought I was hiding it well.

So to the point of this post: Got home from the fab party and reality slapped me in the face. I now know why I am blue or blah ridden. It is because I am a sucky parent whose children (to quote one of my kids) think is LAME. Yep. My kid called me lame. Not even to my face, but to a friend. I heard them talking when I got home. I think it went exactly like this, "My parents are so lame. I hate my life."

Now I add lame to the long list of things that I find fault in myself (or at least have been finding since the BLAHS took over). Really? Lame. What does that even mean? Am I lame because I make my kids do chores? Am I lame because they fight me every inch of the way on chores? Am I lame because I don't let them play with friends 24/7? Am I lame because I make them do homework and practice? Am I lame because I fix casseroles or breakfast for dinner? Really. Why am I lame?

When I took the job as parent I knew it would be hard, but not this hard. I never remember calling my parent lame. I did WAY more chores than my kids do. I spent way more time working than playing. Maybe that is why I am lame. Maybe I have been to much of a pushover. Maybe I have been to soft. Am I lame because I have let them have their way to much? Maybe LAME has pushed me over the edge. Maybe now I will be tough. Maybe now they will tow the line like I did. Heck, if I am going to be LAME then I will e.a.r.n. that title. (For the record the hubby says I am overreacting.) I personally think he is wrong.

Currently, I think my life is lame. I am at the beckon call of everyone. Not once do I make my own call and no one, not even myself, answers it. My beckon call just hangs in the air like a thick fog. Its quiet where my needs are concerned. Most of the time it is fine that way, but for today, for right now, I want to be heard. My needs, my feelings, they need to be heard, felt, and met. Dang it! I am not lame!!!! I am trying to do my job. I am trying to raise respectable, law abiding citizens who love me. Apparently, I am lacking. I am not feeling the love. I am feeling like crap. There. Its out there. Hope you all liked it. I feel like crap. I feel like I have bombed as a parent.

Point in case: I was just interrupted by my child. They have a doctor's appointment in 30 minutes. In fact, 3 of them do. This one asked me if they could go first and then if dad could drive to the doctor, pick them up and TAKE THEM TO A FRIENDS so they wouldn't have to wait for the other 2! WHAT?????? Do they really think they could even ask if their dad could take time from his schedule, drive a second car, spend the gas, to come and get them so they could play?! Wow. It is worse than I thought.

I knew it would be hard, but I thought it was at least possible. Apparently, today it doesn't seem that way. You can see the BLAHS have me today. I am sure tomorrow will be better.

I bet you are wishing I had just kept this positive.

Comments

The Stanley's said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
To quote yourself, "dang it, you are not lame!"

you are awesome. Hang in there and do something for yourself!
Lisa~~ said…
First off, you are an awesome Mother and give so much to your children, family and friends. Remember that children can be very self-centered and self-absorbed. You have good children and have taught them well and with the way you've raised them and the values you've instilled in them, they will soon outgrow this phase and be respectable, law abiding citizens who love, cherish and respect you forever. Hang in there and I hope that you feel less blue and blah very soon.
Joey/Denny/Emma said…
Oh Laurel...it was so good to see you today. I admire you and your family in so many, many ways. You are lame's opposite! Don't let a word idly spoken undermine your confidence. You're wonderful. You know it! (And your kids know it, too)
Anonymous said…
Anything but lame. I continually compare myself to you and come up short. You are the one that all sorts of people gather around. You are the YW leader extraordinaire. You are a great mother! I look up to you in so many ways. Please don't beat yourself up. It was really fun to see you today. I ALWAYS like to be around you.
First of all, the birthday cakes were store bought. And yucky. This bakery should specialize in their Vday sugar cookies year round, cuz the cakes are yuck.

This is what I do. I mentally plan vacations to the beach. You are welcome to join me. When I hit the jackpot we'll run away for a beach trip together (see how mentally healthy this is??)

For what it's worth, I think you're awesome, but remember this is coming from the world's LAMEST mom ever.

Sorry I missed you today- we continued the CNY celebrating down here in UT co.

Kim
Circe said…
Ok, here is my rebuttal:

First of all, I laughed so hard at your FHE story. I love that other families struggle with activities like that too. And your one-liner about where to go was perfect!

Secondly, if your daughters are any indication of your abilities as a parent, you have nothing to worry about. Kenzie was such a poised young woman today. She politely engaged my girls in conversation. She was clearly a natural caring for the little kids. And she serenely sat and crocheted. I admired how all the little kids seemed drawn to her.

Also, I appreciate what a wonderful friend you are. I wish we lived closer so I could be around you more! I just admire how honest and forthright you are, and how funny and genuine.

I hear ya on the "lame" comment, though. Yesterday I mentioned something I was looking forward to, an activity that is about me, and not my kids. One of them said, "Mom, you've told us that like a million times." It cut me to the core that NOBODY CARES about something I'm interested in because I'm LAME, but I'm supposed to be just fascinated with every minute detail of their lives. So I hear ya! But you rock. Thanks for coming today!
Em said…
I had my fair share of calling my parents lame. Yep, my amazing mom and dad. I don't think anyone is immune!

The positive things and stuff I read here by FAR outweigh the negative. You are an awesome mom. Don't worry, your kids will grow out of trying to feel cool in front of their friends. :)
The Stanley's said…
Lame is in! I'm serious. All parents are viewed as lame at some point. We have to be lame, it's our job. Lame is "not relating to current trends, boring, not cool, out of style". There are many current trends I don't relate to. Hallelujah! Sometimes I am boring because I've already been-there-done-that-and-it-wasn't-really-worth-it kids!! Therefore, I am proud to be "lame". I asked my kids if they have EVER called me lame. They said no. Phew! Then I asked them if they had ever THOUGHT it. They said yes.
Case closed.
I am so looking forward to the future when my children will be "lame" parents too!
And besides that, the weather is lame! Absolutely dreary and I am experiencing the same depressed feeling. I am so ready to break free from this gray, gloomy season. Maybe the weather is adding to our lameness!!
We need sunshine!
Rebecca said…
Ode the the lame mom,
Your kids will try to kill you with their words,
Your kids will try to make you see how unfair you have made their lives
Oh, Oh, don't despair
One day will come where all will see
How loving and honest they will be
When they realize that you are all they need, and want to see

Laurel, it's normal for them to cut you down, don't forget how hard Satan is working on them everyday to do wrong things, as along as your kids respect you that is what is important. If they don't respect you that you can change.

Keep your head above the water, don't let Satan convince you that you are a bad parent, because you are anything but!
Valorie said…
I understand where you are coming from and it is comforting to know others struggle this time of year. I think all good parents struggle with feeling like they are good parents,especially the great parents which you and Jay are. Hang in there my friend, we should get together and survive a blah day with chocolate.
Jennifer said…
I'm a friend of Circe's. I accidentally clicked on your blog from her list today, but I sure am glad I did. Thank you for sharing. Thank you for validating my own feelings. And thank you for having friends who have been so insightful in their comments. I particularly like Rebecca's reminder that Satan is attacking our teenagers because he knows that if their words get us down, he has won. That seems to give me a bit more empathy for the teenage mind. (Just a bit.)

Next time I am called lame (and it's bound to happen again, since it has already), instead of getting angry I'll try a new approach. I'll picture the gold sparkly fabric of the same name (OK, same spelling.) Better yet I'll picture my teenage offender wearing it, just to make me smile.

Best of luck! From all accounts it sounds like you're extraordinary.
You are amazing how you can be "LAME" and absolutely HILARIOUS at the same time. Just so you know...I TOTALLY relate!!!
Susan said…
We need a a trip to some warm beach somewhere. I am so tired of the school schedule and being the maen mom to get things done. Bring me the carefree summer!
Lisa and Tate said…
You should never feel LAME!!! YOU are amazing! Truly amazing! When we can out to visit last summer I left in totall awe of you, your home and the love I felt in it!

I am also feeling the blahs. This too will pass when the season gets more sunny and the spring takes over the world in happy colors!

HUGE HUGS ... you are amazing!
Dione said…
Thank you for your honesty! I needed to hear it! I had a major break down on our drive home from Utah. I feel so ashamed and like such a failure!

Speaking of lame, We scheduled our trip to Utah around my daughter's friend's mission farewell. She has dated this young man on and off for about 4 years.

During the meeting she texted my other daughter and asked, "Why is Mom here" to which she replied, "Why not? Where is she supposed to go?" It made me feel so unwelcome! Then she wanted to know if I planned on coming to his house afterward.

Sensing the fear in her text I dropped off my 3 daughters, future son in-law and niece to go have pancakes at the boy's house and I took my baby back to the empty house and had dry peanut butter and jelly.

So, after giving and giving on the trip up, and being the only one who could drive the rental car, I was exhausted and I lost it when my just about 16 year old wouldn't stop fighting with the 2 year old.

I know all parents loose it at times, and I'm not alone, but I feel lame.
M3 said…
Oh man! We've all had days (weeks/months/etc) like this. Definitely un-lame of you to post the honest truth. :-) Big hugs.

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...