Skip to main content

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

The other morning while getting ready, Jay said, "Here we go. Another Ground Hog Day." I laughed. It you have ever seen the movie "Ground Hog Day" you know what he meant. Some times life is the same thing over and over, just like in the movie.

Everyday we get up at 6:20 a.m. and get the kids off by 7:20. Then EVERY morning I unload the dishwasher and load it again. I do my best to straighten up the kitchen from breakfast. I get ready, make my bed, get Maylin ready for school and then I go exercise. I pick her up at noon and we eat lunch and then home school. Of course the day is filled with various errands etc and then carpool begins along with homework, dinner, clean-up and unloading and loading that dishwasher again so it is ready for me in the morning.

Of course, there are those life moments that sneak in and catch us off guard. For example, losing your wallet or phone, running out of gas, a car breaking down, Christmas lights not working, etc, etc....you get my drift. As Mr. Einstein inferred, life is like being insane. Really.

This weekend we did have a few differences. I mean it was the same: activity, after activity, piled on top of each other each and every day.....why does that happen? There are other days in the year. Why does everything fall on the same day? Anyway, the activities were different (not the amount of them). The kids had a Christmas Choir concert. It was just great. Aren't they cute? Kenzie had a Winter Formal Dance at her school too. She looked so beautiful and she had a blast. We supplied the marshmallows for the chocolate fountain.

Austin came home from school and is heading down the stretch to finals. He was studying like a mad man for a math test. Something possessed him to use dry erase markers to do math on my china hutch glass windows. Of course, this caught on and every single child in my house was using those dang dry erase markers to write on my coffee tables, mirrors, windows and the best was drawing on each others photos that were hanging on the walls. Alex drew horns on Kenzie's picture, Austin drew a full beard on himself and Jay and Maylin drew hair on my face. I think Kenzie was the only one who didn't deface a picture. They wiped them off, but today as I passed those glass items I caughta glimpse of their faded art work. There has been lots of extra cleaning today. Sometimes all this makes me feel insane and I wish as Albert declared that I would get different results next time. A change would be nice.
 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Glenda said…
True...the insanity part...but something is sort of fun about having so many people living under one roof doing so many different things. I miss that time...I remember thinking "All I want is a clean house, how hard can it be?" Well, now it is not very hard at all, and not very fun.
Catherine said…
Glenda, I needed this reminder today. Thank you!

Laurel, your stories of the kids with the markers, mirrors and pictures made me giggle! What fun to do....and even more fun to know that Mom and Dad will see the joy in the moment and laugh, not chastise them for defacing the house. I lived in a house of fun too and am so thankful that I did!

Hope you were able to get some of your 'to do' items done today. It feels so good even when the kiddos come home and moments later it looked like you spent the day with your feet up. So thankful to have our 'littles' to mess up our homes!
Circe said…
I hear ya! But your family is so fun. If only they wouldn't get so many dishes dirty! :)
emma nelson said…
You have so much fun as a family! You really know what is important in life. I would probably die if the kids wrote all over my china cupboard...but heck! They'll remember the good times.
Joey/Denny/Emma said…
I know, we're all kinda like gerbils on a treadmill, aren't we. (I'm most impressed that part of your daily routine is exercise..) Cute photos -- Kenzie is gorgeous.
Nate said…
Good luck with your daily routine. I am pretty impressed with it. A little variation from Einstein's definition..instanity is equal to parenting! Never thought it was true but it is:) Good luck with they dry erase markers. What will they think of next?? Kenzie was beautiful in pic:)

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...