It was the Homecoming dance at Kenzie's school. Everyone 14 and up can go, but only those 16 and older can bring a date. Unfortunately Kenzie didn't get asked....even though I spent a lot of time asking Heavenly Father help some boy ask her. I was bent out of shape about this at first, but apparently He knows more than I do. Things worked out better than ever imagined.
On Wednesday of last week, we went to Austin's best buddy's house to watch him open his mission call. He is going to El Salvador by the way. He has always had a special place in our heart. After that night, Kenzie decided if she didn't get asked by Friday, the day before the dance, she would call Austin's friend and ask him to be her date. No offer came.....even though I had been praying. So, she called Tyler. He said he would love to go with her! Hurrah!
He drove her and took her to the dance. They had a great time. Just being friends and knowing each other for years really made it really fun. We chaperoned (with Maylin) and got to watch them in action. THey were so cute. They tried to figure out how to dance all the way around the gym doing the waltz. After ward they went for shakes. Kenzie had planned on paying, but this sweet young man wouldn't hear of it. He had her home by mindnight. Jay and I weren't worried a bit because we know this boy! For me, it was better than being asked by someone we didn't know as well or by someone she she didn't know as well. It worked out so great and being with an older boy who really knows the ropes, showed her what a gentleman is really like!
We sent the following pictures to Austin. With the caption: "Look whose dating each other?" Just to freak him out seeing his sister with his 19 year old friend. We then told him they weren't dating, they just had A date and explained the situation. I think Kenzie looks beautiful. She is getting prettier all the time.
A different angle this time. Feet and head of the roof....only tummy touching. Dad didn't find this funny or soothing and just kept holding on for dear life.
On Wednesday of last week, we went to Austin's best buddy's house to watch him open his mission call. He is going to El Salvador by the way. He has always had a special place in our heart. After that night, Kenzie decided if she didn't get asked by Friday, the day before the dance, she would call Austin's friend and ask him to be her date. No offer came.....even though I had been praying. So, she called Tyler. He said he would love to go with her! Hurrah!
He drove her and took her to the dance. They had a great time. Just being friends and knowing each other for years really made it really fun. We chaperoned (with Maylin) and got to watch them in action. THey were so cute. They tried to figure out how to dance all the way around the gym doing the waltz. After ward they went for shakes. Kenzie had planned on paying, but this sweet young man wouldn't hear of it. He had her home by mindnight. Jay and I weren't worried a bit because we know this boy! For me, it was better than being asked by someone we didn't know as well or by someone she she didn't know as well. It worked out so great and being with an older boy who really knows the ropes, showed her what a gentleman is really like!
We sent the following pictures to Austin. With the caption: "Look whose dating each other?" Just to freak him out seeing his sister with his 19 year old friend. We then told him they weren't dating, they just had A date and explained the situation. I think Kenzie looks beautiful. She is getting prettier all the time.
Jay and I signed up to chaperon this dance because it would be Alex's first dance. He just turned 14 after all. We wanted to see him in action! I don't think we were prepared for what we saw. This kid has confidence that is over the top. It was amazing. He cleared the dance floor so he and his friend could do the worm across it. He was dancing on the stage and jumping off it during the song YMCA. He would jump off it making the shape of the letters. He was leg guitar playing, break dancing, asking girls right and left and accepting girls invites to dance. I don't think he came off the floor for more than 2 songs. I was blown away by his confidence and his love of life. He made us smile.
Doing the worm.
Looking for the girl he wants to dance with next.
Maylin got dressed up to chaperon with us. She was so cute. When we got to the dance some of the girls in Alex's class danced with her and then about 5 Chinese exchange students danced with her too! She loved the attention. She danced with Alex too and was heart broken when a girl would ask and take him away or when he had to go bust a move and leave her. She danced with Jay and I too. She finally fell asleep on my lap around 10:15. She was pooped from such a great night out.
Earlier in the day we put up our Christmas lights. I did the trees and the boys did the roof. Jay was hanging on for dear life and kept telling me he was scared to death. On the other hand, you had Alex that kept saying "What's the big deal, dad?" He would show his lack of fear periodically when he would take a break to "plank" on the roof. I about wet my pants watching him, but what could I do? So, I took his picture and positioned myself so if he did fall I would break his fall. Here are some of Mr. Goodtime's planks in picture form.
A different angle this time. Feet and head of the roof....only tummy touching. Dad didn't find this funny or soothing and just kept holding on for dear life.
Comments
I love how the high school dance becomes a family affair.