Skip to main content

Happy Birthday Austin and Jane Austen

Monday the 15th, was Austin's 16th Birthday!! We took 5 of his friends bowling and to dinner. Afterward they came back to the house and played RockBand. They had a GREAT time! Our family party was pretty low key. Austin had too much homework. We had banana splits as cake isn't Austin's favorite and we opened gifts. We usually take each child out to dinner to the place of their choice, but homework came first, so this weekend we will finish celebrating.
 

 

Maylin obviously sees me do this too much. I guess she is getting me back.

 

This week I was in charge of a Pride and Prejudice Party for Austin's grade (actually it was for 10th and 9th). Jane Austen's birthday was the 16th of December and the kids just finished the book, so it was a perfect time to celebrate! I made the Yorkshire pudding. (above) At the lunch we filled them with warm gravy. We had crumpets and tea in the morning and then for lunch we had Cottage Pie, Yorkshire Pudding, Vegetables, Rice pudding and Marmalade Cake. It was deliecious. All the kids dressed up and they learned Victorian dancing, English Christmas carols, and talked about Pride and Prejudice as well as some of the themes of the book like safeguarding womanhood etc. It was an amazing day! The picture of Maylin is of her in her fancy Pride and Prejudice dress. At the party she got a band aid and stuck it where she had an "itch". It did more than itch when we pulled it off, if fact she said, "I got bruise now, mom."
 
Posted by Picasa




Comments

Anonymous said…
Laurel,

What fun! Love the kids picts and the Yorkshire pudding!
Glenda said…
Austin...the shoes just don't work! Looks like such a fun, fun activity at school. Now you are 16 everybody better watch out.
hooli said…
Austin's chucks are so... English countryside. Happy birthday.
Dione said…
Happy Birthday Austin! Such a handsome boy! What school does he go to?
Claudia said…
Happy belated birthday Austin! The party looks like it was fun, and I hope you had a good time on your date!
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday Austin! I love Jane Austin as well. Pride and Prejudice is an all time favorite. I loved the pic of Maylin in the buff trying to use the camera! That is classic. You are amazing, Laurel. How in the world do you do it all?
Valorie said…
Wow, what a great party! I love how everyone dressed up. That will be something they will always remember. Happy Birthday Austin! Good for you for getting homework done. It sounds like you had a fun night with your friends.
Happy Birthday Austin! I had no idea, but Hillary also celebrated on Monday. She had her GOLDEN birthday (your's was last year)- turned 15 on the 15th. If I could get caught up on my blogging you could see the pics...I'll work on it! We'll have to keep in mind that the two of you share a b-day!

Kim Brown
Erin said…
Happy Birthday Austin! I love the costumes... so authentic. And that Maylin says the funniest things!
The Stanley's said…
Austin, I thought you were going to show a bit more tights!!!

It has been fun seeing you all this week. Wish we were closer!
Susan said…
What a cool party! I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...