Skip to main content

Top Ten Memories of 2008

I thought 2007 was filled with changes, ups and downs, but I do have to say 2008 beat it. Here are some photos of memories of 2008 that to me, are the best of the best. I have never posted these before.

A band aid is a child's best friend. This is my #10 memory. Why? Because a child's needs and wants are so simple that most anything can be fun, even a band aid.


Number 9 - Nothing better than sleeping children. They are cute, innocent and it shows that a tired child means a VERY good day.

Number 8 - We are so blessed to have Maylin in our lives. This picture is number 8 because it shows how she has reminded us to enjoy life and take time to enjoy even the small things.

Sharing - Photo number 7. I love it when my children take care of each other. It doesn't happen as often as I would like, but when it does, it is magic.

You are probably wondering why a fish in a kitchen sink made the number 6 position. Well, this picture represents two things. One: my children caught it. What a thrill. They loved it and tried to keep it alive as long as possible. Two: you can teach an old dog new tricks...or at least tolerate new tricks. To those of you who know my mother this picture will mean a lot. My mom is a clean fanatic. Growing up everything was perfect, so this picture shows with age comes relaxation and with grandkids comes a really huge soft heart. This is my mother's sink and she let a fish swim in it for hours....in the name of love for her grandchildren! Isn't it amazing what a grandchild can do?

Picture 5 - The thrill a mother gets when she sees her kids use their imaginations. Here McKenzie is in the Henry's Fork River catching baby fish in her butterfly net. She is saving the lost fish, she is hoping to catch a mermaid, she is just enjoying nature and her imagination.

Number 4 - Finding out that our baby was okay. What a relief to know her seizures were caused by low iron, nothing else. So happy to see that a vitamin fixed her problems. I also picked these pictures because it shows the complete trust Maylin has in us, her parents.


Number 3 - Jay took this picture of his eye. Don't know why. But it is number three because it represents to me his funny, wacky sense of humor and that he is always watching out for his family.


Number 2 - He gets to come home! The greatest day!

#1!!! This picture was taken as Austin was being taken down to his second open heart surgery within a week. I cry when I think of it. Of course, I cry because of the memories of fear, sadness for the suffering he had and would face, but mostly because I see in this picture that my son is brave. My son is fearless. My son accepts his lot in life. My son truly follows the great advice on the back of his shirt and he is happy because he faces things head on. I remember Jay and I standing behind him, so he couldn't see us cry, yet watching our son go forward with no tears, but hope for success and a brighter future. This picture sums up what our 2008 was like....hopeful. And because of the uncertain future we live in right now, I HOPE this theme of 2008 carries us through 2009. May you all be filled with hope as we face this uncertain year. Happy New Year to all.

Comments

Valorie said…
Great post Laurel. I loved the new pictures.
Glenda said…
Thank you, Laurel. Isn't life all about accepting change and initiating change? The ability to do both makes us very happy people.
Anonymous said…
That is just beautiful. You have such an appreciation for life and a great faith. Hope 2009 brings wonderful things for your wonderful family!
M3 said…
Oh Laurel this is such an awesome post!! Love the memories and love the list. Happy 2009.
I love your list, Laurel. Thanks for sharing all of that! I was just on the phone with Dr. Day today...so the last bit about hope and Austin made me cry. I am so blessed to have you in my life!

Kim
The Stanley's said…
Well done. 2008 has been a year!
Lisa and Tate said…
What a great top Ten list!!! I got to reminance right along with you for some of the photos.... Thanks for letting me share in parts of your lives....

Lisa
Anonymous said…
I loved your memories pictures. Glad you had so many blessings this year. Also so glad that Maylin was ok and that Austin came through like a trooper! We love you all. Happy New Year!
Catherine said…
A picture is worth a thousand words. So many stories...so much love.

Happy New Year!!
Claudia said…
What a great post...love the pictures and love your family.
Erin said…
Just beautiful Laurel. I have tears in my eyes. Your children will love reading this someday. President Monson's talk about "Finding Joy in the Journey"
lists "accepting change" as one of three ways to find joy. I think you have just brought his point home for me. Thank you so much for the example that your family is to me and so many!
Eliza2006 said…
You've had an eventful year! I loved your list! It was a nice reminder to remember and enjoy the simple things as well as the more life changing events! Happy New Year!

Tiffany
grandma GiGI said…
It warms my heart to know that you have such love for your children. They are blessed to have a Mom who cares and appreciates the "little things". They have made our lives special too.
p.s.Have you forgotten "Toby" and the many baths I had to give him in our bathtub. And also the gerbel that got stuck in the and died in wall??...That fish was a piece of cake!!
Kim E said…
Great post!I would love to e-mail you regarding your post on the low iron. I was hospitalized twice in the last year and all they could ever find was also low iron. I would love to ask more questions if you wouldn't mind.

kim2027@aol.com

Thanks Kim Evans

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...