Skip to main content

Rainy Sunday Evening

It rained all night and morning here. By 2:00 it was sunny and nice, so we drove to the two cemeteries where my grandparents are buried. They are in cities about 20 minutes from us. It was so wonderful to have the sunshine while we were there. I had a great time telling my kids about some of the memories I had about my grandparents. It was a nice outing. By dinner however, the rain came back and it came HARD. I ran for cover, but the kids didn't. They layered clothes and found their umbrellas and in Jay and Alex's case a brand new trash can. They had a blast running through the downpour. Austin sat on the lawnmower under the porch and serenaded us with his guitar. Maylin said she had wetness all over her face. And that she did.
 

 

 

 

I spoke in church today. Maylin didn't like that much and kept running away trying to get to the stand. When she wasn't running she was calling me. Needless to say Jay took her out in the hall. When I finished I went back down to the congregation and sat with her. She was so happy. I think that means she really likes me. :)

Today at church we had a lesson on journaling. The teacher gave us journal jars with this poem, "Preserve your memories-seal them up well. What you forget, you can never retell. But a journal that's kept fresh on the shelf will help someone through rough times - maybe even yourself." That just reconfirmed to me why I blog. I read my journal the other night from when I was a girl. I didn't even remember some of the things that happened until I read it. It is so true a journal is a delightful thing.

A journal jar for those who might not know is a jar filled with strips of paper with questions or a fill in the blank on them. The idea is to draw from the journal everyday and write on that topic. I don't think it will happen every day, but here is my first attempt.

"One of the greatest compliments I have ever received was....that I made everyone I met feel comfortable and welcome."
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love the rainy downpour pictures..the trashcan is creative. Kids teach us so much about enjoying the moments of life. Your journal entry is inspiring and you are a person who welcomes everyone you are around:) I am so glad we have the blessing of knowing your family.
grandma GiGI said…
Your family always has so much fun together, rain or shine. That's what it's all about itsn't it? The kids are darling and your yard looks beautiful!!
M3 said…
So true about the blog as journal!! I forget half the stuff we do (oh who am I kidding, I forget 90% of the stuff) about a week after we do it. Thank goodness for the blog or our kids would never hear about their childhood.
Claudia said…
I looooove playing in the rain! To bad it only really rains here when it's winter and cold. Summer rain play is a whole lot more fun!

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...