Today is my hubby's b-day and my niece Hooli's big day. It is tough, I think, to share this day with Mr. Taxman. So, I hope they both have a great day, in spite of it all.
I know my honey has had a tough day. Taxes about blew his mind. When he dropped off the checks in the mail today he said it sure sucked on your b-day to have to give so much away. I don't blame him. It was tough for me too, and it isn't even my special day.
My honey turns 43, cough, cough, today. It has been a rough one, despite the taxman. He is feeling his age, as he is having trouble with his foot and ankle. Work is terribly slow and he found that he no longer wears a size 42 suit. To me, this last one was hysterical. For him, not so much. This is what happened.
He needed a new suit. He hasn't had one for 15 years. His pants were thin, see-through thin and the pockets were worn through. You get the idea. So I went to buy one for him. I called and asked him what size jacket he wore. He said 42. I said, "No way." He said yes. It was was a 42 definitely. In my wisdom, I tried on the 42 jacket. It buttoned around me, but was not the loosest fitting thing in the world. I told him, that the 42 barely fit me, so there was no way it would fit him. (yes, I am smaller than my hubby) He was so shocked by this. I bought a bigger size and took it home. Last night he tried it on and it was too small. Watching his shock and horror was hysterical. He pulled out his suit to see the size and of course because it is so worn there is NO TAG. He pulled out the suit we were married in and saw that IT was a 42 and could immediately tell it was way smaller than his current suit. Austin came in and said, "great suit dad. I wish I had one." So I took the suit and gave it to him. Aus tried it on and it fit BEAUTIFULLY! It was so great to see my son in the suit my hubby wore at our wedding! He looked like a mini-version of my honey. Austin was thrilled with it. My honey was, um, how would you say it, distraught.
We went to the store and got him the correct suit jacket size. I spent the whole time he was in the dressing room, sitting on the floor, doubled over in laughter as I listened to him complain, moan, doubt that this could actually be his size. It was hysterical. He finally said to me, "If you can't say anything nice, be quiet." Apparently, my laughing was annoying him. I was sorry, but I COULDN'T help myself, really. He was SO funny.
On the drive home we talked about how it is wonderful, but hard to see our kids becoming the people we were or worse, the people we still think we are. I like my honey, still think I am that young chick that married him 20 years ago. Unfortunately, the body reminds me that I am not, but still this does not change the visual image we have of ourselves in our head. It was hard to see that his son was now as tall as he. Yes, Austin is 5'10"! He has grown since his last surgery and that he weighed what he did, those many years ago. I think, for him, it was like looking in the mirror, but seeing who you used to be.
Despite all this, I hope he has a wonderful b-day. I bought him a coconut cream pie and a red velvet cake (I couldn't choose) to help him retain that boyish figure. Hee hee hee.
I know my honey has had a tough day. Taxes about blew his mind. When he dropped off the checks in the mail today he said it sure sucked on your b-day to have to give so much away. I don't blame him. It was tough for me too, and it isn't even my special day.
My honey turns 43, cough, cough, today. It has been a rough one, despite the taxman. He is feeling his age, as he is having trouble with his foot and ankle. Work is terribly slow and he found that he no longer wears a size 42 suit. To me, this last one was hysterical. For him, not so much. This is what happened.
He needed a new suit. He hasn't had one for 15 years. His pants were thin, see-through thin and the pockets were worn through. You get the idea. So I went to buy one for him. I called and asked him what size jacket he wore. He said 42. I said, "No way." He said yes. It was was a 42 definitely. In my wisdom, I tried on the 42 jacket. It buttoned around me, but was not the loosest fitting thing in the world. I told him, that the 42 barely fit me, so there was no way it would fit him. (yes, I am smaller than my hubby) He was so shocked by this. I bought a bigger size and took it home. Last night he tried it on and it was too small. Watching his shock and horror was hysterical. He pulled out his suit to see the size and of course because it is so worn there is NO TAG. He pulled out the suit we were married in and saw that IT was a 42 and could immediately tell it was way smaller than his current suit. Austin came in and said, "great suit dad. I wish I had one." So I took the suit and gave it to him. Aus tried it on and it fit BEAUTIFULLY! It was so great to see my son in the suit my hubby wore at our wedding! He looked like a mini-version of my honey. Austin was thrilled with it. My honey was, um, how would you say it, distraught.
We went to the store and got him the correct suit jacket size. I spent the whole time he was in the dressing room, sitting on the floor, doubled over in laughter as I listened to him complain, moan, doubt that this could actually be his size. It was hysterical. He finally said to me, "If you can't say anything nice, be quiet." Apparently, my laughing was annoying him. I was sorry, but I COULDN'T help myself, really. He was SO funny.
On the drive home we talked about how it is wonderful, but hard to see our kids becoming the people we were or worse, the people we still think we are. I like my honey, still think I am that young chick that married him 20 years ago. Unfortunately, the body reminds me that I am not, but still this does not change the visual image we have of ourselves in our head. It was hard to see that his son was now as tall as he. Yes, Austin is 5'10"! He has grown since his last surgery and that he weighed what he did, those many years ago. I think, for him, it was like looking in the mirror, but seeing who you used to be.
Despite all this, I hope he has a wonderful b-day. I bought him a coconut cream pie and a red velvet cake (I couldn't choose) to help him retain that boyish figure. Hee hee hee.

Comments