Skip to main content

Heart beats

We live and breathe hearts, heart beats, color, dizziness etc around here. Sometimes it is overwhelming. It has been so much better the past several years, but in January Austin had some trouble. They could NOT find anything, so we moved on and chalked it up to him getting strep a few days later. Well last Wednesday Austin was sitting at his computer desk when he had two HUGE heart beats. He knew they were blocked beats, he's had them before, but these triggered a huge run of fast, VERY FAST, heart beats. He came and found Jay and I and was scared spit less. He was pale and he felt really dizzy. He said his chest felt like a 300 pound man was sitting on it and his left arm hurt.

Obviously, I panicked. We hooked him up to his defibrillator machine and sent a report in. I called the hospital and they said it didn't pick up anything. They said it only records if the beat goes above 190 beats per minute and if it goes over 16 beats. Great. We really needed some answers. The doctor felt like, by the symptoms, and the fact it took over an hour for his color to return and the tightness to go away, that it probably was in the 180's. He recommended we have his pacemaker reset to record at a lower speed so we would know what was going on.

Today, we saw the EP Doctor, who works with his "electrical" system, but also happens to be a plumbing doctor too, just not ours. They ran Austin through lots of different tests. They hooked him up to this machine that took control of his pacemaker. They forced it to pace his heart into a 90 beat per minute rhythm. You can see the machine in the pictures below.
 

 
You can also see how Austin is smiling, almost laughing, because when it took over his heart and made it beat fast, it felt like you do on a roller coaster. He said it felt crazy. They did it a second time and took it higher. Austin began to get red in the face and sweat like he had been running forever. They asked him if this was like what he felt last week. He said no, that the one last week was harder and faster! They reset his pacemaker to pick up events at 163 bpm. That way if he has another event, It will be recorded. They have also ordered a halter monitor for him to wear for a few days. I rotated this picture and it is fine until you import it!

 

 

His blood pressure was extremely low so they ordered him to drink Gatorade and eat 6 meals a day. Our regular doctor had transferred us to the doctor who sees people over 18 that have Childhood Heart Defects, but this doctor asked if she could just take over all his treatment, not just his electrical. We were so excited! We love her. We have worked with her so much and really love her and she has such a great love for Austin. (There is a team of about 18 doctors that all consult together, so our old one and the one we would have been transferred to, will still be consulted.)

We will know more next week, but they feel with the lower range on his Defibrillator/pacemaker that he will be fine in Jerusalem even if something happens again like last week.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Is it Dr. Yetman? I have heard great things about her. Again you and Austin are paving the way for us.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't call you to come to the heart mom luncheon this past Saturday. I remember you saying that you don't do all that heart stuff...but I know you would have loved this. I'm so sorry that I didn't call- I just didn't know how awesome it would be.

Glad that things are looking ok and that you are going to have just one doctor take over. That must be a relief.

Kim
Circe said…
Wow! I love how capable you seem with all of this. It sounds major to me, but you guys don't let the heart thing slow you down one bit!
Valorie said…
Laurel, thanks for the update about Austin, we will keep him in our prayers. So scarey. I am glad you feel confidance in his doctor, that is such an important thing.
Anonymous said…
Praying for Austin!
The Stanley's said…
Great Ironman photos!! Austin you are awesome!! We love you guys. Thank you for keeping us posted.
grandma GiGI said…
He is a miracle boy. His attitude is great....he's lived with this all his life and maybe it's just old stuff to him, but our hearts are with him...you and Jay have been so patient and have learned so much...
M3 said…
Wow, I would have been scared spitless too! Sending good thoughts and huge hugs.
Rebecca said…
There is always that concern. It will never really go away. I makes me laugh almost and wonder why my body can handle the 400 beats per minutes with it just making me feel not well.

I am glad that the Dr you like is taking over everything hopefully the new settings will help and they will be able to pick up what is going on.
Anonymous said…
Praying for Austin and for your family. Hope all goes well in Jerusalem!
Dione said…
I can't imagine going through what your family is going through. Austin is such a good boy. We will keep you all in our prayers.

About that bird... Maybe you should just let it in...

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...