Our neighbor's first grade boy is in a Chinese immersion program at school. The other day he came over all excited and wanted to sing "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes" with Maylin. He started singing and when she didn't he got frustrated with her that she was not singing too. I told him that she doesn't speak Chinese and that when she came here she was a baby and didn't really speak Chinese. His grandma (she adopted him) said she explains to him every day that just because she is Chinese doesn't mean she can speak it. He still doesn't seem to get it.
They played together for several hours and I watched him try to teach her the song. He got so upset and said she wasn't moving her tongue right and why wasn't she forming her tongue right, because she was Chinese! Ugh!!! I tried to explain it to him again. I just had to laugh at it all. Maylin did finally get most of it and it was so cute to hear her sing it. The little boy did inform that she still wasn't saying it completely right and I informed him she still doesn't say some of her English words right for example she can't say her L's or her V's.
It was pretty cute and Maylin was quite proud of herself.
They played together for several hours and I watched him try to teach her the song. He got so upset and said she wasn't moving her tongue right and why wasn't she forming her tongue right, because she was Chinese! Ugh!!! I tried to explain it to him again. I just had to laugh at it all. Maylin did finally get most of it and it was so cute to hear her sing it. The little boy did inform that she still wasn't saying it completely right and I informed him she still doesn't say some of her English words right for example she can't say her L's or her V's.
It was pretty cute and Maylin was quite proud of herself.
Comments
Kim