Skip to main content

A big, big weekend....including Sweet 16!

Maylin had her last swimming lesson on Thursday. She did really well. They moved her up two levels. We will sign up again in a couple of weeks. She was so brave in the water. When they had the kids jump off the side into the teacher's arms, Maylin would have none of it. She would either jump over the teacher or to the side so she could do it completely by herself.



On Thursdays, Alex has his self defense class during Maylin's swimming lessons. He has been taking them for a month and loves them! He thinks it is the greatest thing on the planet. I am so glad he loves it. He comes home and likes to practice on dad.

Now, on to the big news!!!! Maylin turns 6 on Monday, March 5 and Kenzie turns 16 on March 6. My kids only get parties every 4 years (yep, they think I am awful, but that's life). This was one of Kenzie's 4 years. Being her 16th, we went all out! I have never done a party like this ever. We rented two rooms in a convention/party building that was close to my kids' school since that is where most of the kids would be coming from. (We live 25 minutes from the school) One was a conference room were we had dinner, a movie on a big screen, dancing and cake. We had some games too. The other smaller room had pool, games and the wii Just Dance game.

Here is her cake! A lady whose husband works for us made the cake. Isn't it incredible?! The bottom is a homemade funfetti cake and the top is chocolate. It was so good.

I had props for the kids to use for group pictures. I even made the mustaches and the eye brows. The kids had so much fun. This is one of the groups Kenzie was in. We started with about 30 people and then when the school basketball game ended 30 more kids came. It was wild with the 60 kids there!

One of the activities included a bubble gum blowing contest. Here is Kenzie with her attempt. She didn't win.

These boxes are filled with different kids of candy. The kids could fill the colored bags with the candy.

Here is where we had dinner. There was bubble gum in the buckets on the table. We ate pizza, lots of kinds of chips, veggie trays and pop/water. Of course there was cake and ice cream and all the candy.

Here is Kenzie and some of her friends playing candy land.

The Just Dance 2 game was a hit. It was just fun to watch the kids dance.

Here is Kenzie pretending to blow out the candles. I forgot matches.




Here are some of the guests enjoying snacks, pool and their friends.




The boy in the background eating the pizza is the boy Kenzie has her eye on. He seemed like a really nice boy. He is in 11th grade. Yep, she likes an older boy. Kenzie invited the whole 10th grade and the whole 11th grade plus some friends from home. Since my kids go to a private school there are only 26 kids in each grade.

Twister was also a hit. Kenzie's friends were very generous. She got some great gifts! It definitely was a party to remember!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
That cake is AMAZING! Love the whole party - no wonder you only do them every 4 years - you go all out!

Happy birthday to Kenzie and Maylin!
Circe said…
Wow! What a party! Happy Sweet 16 to a beautiful girl. I'll have to remember all the details of the party in case I ever have the energy to do something like that!
Catherine said…
Happy Sweet 16 Kenzie! What a great party shared with tons of fun! Beautiful cake!

Happy, happy birthday!!
Joey/Denny/Emma said…
Happy birthday to your girls! Kenzie looks so beautiful. What an awesome party. (And Laurel -- thank you for telling me about your mom seeing Emma in St. George -- that is so funny! I remember we were sitting in Church and Em wanted to go get a drink and I kept trying to talk her out of it but finally said, "Okay, but you can't get up again!" That's when your mom saw her walking out with her arms folded.) Anyway, great post -- and I've loved reading about Austin, too. Hope he is well!
Nate said…
You really know how to throw a party!!!!! Kenzie looks so beautiful...Happy Sweet Sixteen to her. And Happy Birthday to Maylin. We mailed Emi's present to her today so it should be there tomorrow:)
M3 said…
Happy birthday Kenzie and Maylin!

Oh my word, you throw an amazing party, woman. Wow!! Can you come out and help with our next one?

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...