Skip to main content

Red rocks

(By the way, we got a letter from Austin. It is on his blog.)
This past weekend we went and saw my parents in St.George. The weather was in the low 70's. It was so nice. We went to a ghost town that was once a town of 2,500 people that worked at a mine. Now there are just a few remnants of buildings, a couple of old mine shafts and 3 cemeteries. One was Catholic, one was Protestant and one was episcopalian. It was all great to look at. There was some interesting info about all the Chinese people that used to live in this town. In fact, one of the buildings that was still standing (sort of) was a Chinese Laundry. There used to be a Chinese Cemetery, but one of the ancestors of those buried there had the bodies all dug up and had them shipped back to China where he had them buried. I thought that was very interesting.

We also went hiking, but due to Kenzie being sick (She has been sick for over a week) and Jay falling earlier that week and taking out his knee, Alex and I were the only two to do the hike. It was a new one for us and it was so cool!
 
Because we were hiking alone while the others waited, we didn't get to finish the hike. We plan to go back and do the WHOLE hike and really enjoy it. We hiked to two pools and two waterfalls. They weren't big huge ones like in Hawaii, but they were gorgeous running through the red rock slit canyons. The pools were deep enough some people were diving off the rocks into them, but it was only 70 and the water was cold, so we didn't partake. We will next time!
 
 
 It was so beautiful. The hike continued along the rocks and river. In some places there was a rope drilled into the side of the rock so you could hold onto that and not go into the water. Alex and I had a blast.
 
 
 This is part of a tree! Isn't that amazing?
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Catherine said…
Wow! Gorgeous! What a beautiful place to hike.

Hope Kenzie and Jay are feeling better.
Nate said…
Really beautiful hike...I'm jealous:)
Circe said…
Ditto what.Catherine said :-) you do such fun stuff!

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...