Skip to main content

Pageant and pastries

I will do things chronologically.....better for my old brain, you see. So, first, I went on a field trip for Alex's French class. We visited a French Bakery. They could only speak French. He pretty much panicked when he got in there. It was pretty funny, but he still managed to buy a box full, and two drinks and a baguette. I ate part of one or two and he pretty much cleaned up the rest. Guess that he needs to keep growing to keep up with the calories he is inhaling!

Finally, Friday was the big interviews for Kenzie. She did well. They were harder than the mock interviews, but she still did well. Saturday, was a long day! We started at noon and finished at about 9. I did the stage decorations again this year, and they were amazing. I was able to get decorations, real ones, from a float company. It was great. I also did some great flower work and fabric work that turned out great.

Kenzie had dress rehearsal all day and then the pageant itself started at 7. I was running back and forth behind the scenes so I really didn't get to see her on stage except for the main dance number, her walk and the announcement of winners. She did great and looked fabulous.

She had a tough on stage question. I wasn't happy with it. At. All. It was supposed to be one from her interview. It wasn't. In fact they asked her what she thought of the local resource program for kids with learning disabilities. That caught her off guard. First off, we left the local school because of the resource program. She thinks it is terrible and needs lots of work. She didn't dare say that. There were teachers from the local school in the audience. So she just said, "Its amazing. However they have things to work on." She didn't know what else she could say with out lying. Not a good thing. I am thinking opinion questions where a youth has to critique a community or school shouldn't be asked. Oh well.

She didn't place, but she won the Director's Award. Which was given to the girl with the best attitude, most on time, most on-top of things, and most organized! She won a teeth whitening at a local dentist, two gift cards, jewelry, make-up and a few odds and ends. Oh yes, flowers too! It was a great honor. Out of 8 girls, 4 walked away with nothing, so it was good that Kenzie got that award.

She loved the experience. It was a good one. She learned a lot. She did things she never thought she could do. We were super proud of her!!! She was awesome!



Her evening wear.

This is the outfit for the talent. She sang Moon River.



Her pageant picture.

Comments

M3 said…
Wow, she looks Gorgeous, simply gorgeous.
Circe said…
Well, I'm going to pretend Kenzie won, because in my book, she is stellar. I'm sure she was the best one, but it's a blessing in disguise not to win. You know how time-consuming those things are, not to mention the politics and frustrations! So - great job being the best, Kenzie, and also, for getting the award that really matters, the judges' choice. That speaks to your character.
Nate said…
Director's award sounds like most likely to succeed!
emma nelson said…
I'm so grateful that we got to share this with you. She's a winner!
Glenda said…
So fun,Kenzie....love your dresses...think up places you can go to wear them all again
Anonymous said…
Hmmm . . . thought I commented before, but I guess not. I loved everything about her dresses, and it just goes to show, you can dress modestly and still look absolutely stunning. Great job!

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...