Skip to main content

Great teachers only come along once in awhile.

You all know that I feel extremely lucky and blessed that my children are able to attend a private school that teaches core values, fundamental principles, true American government, individuality, religion and provides teachers that go above and beyond the responsibilities of their jobs. My children have been influenced by so many teachers there. There are a few standouts however. This post is dedicated to one of the greatest!

Mr. Haymond, had Austin his 11th and 12th grade years. He currently has McKenzie. This man is a true teacher. He always says he wants to make a difference. Let me tell you, he has. McKenzie struggles with a lot of things. I think I am her biggest struggle. Mr. Haymond knows her needs and he does everything in his power to help her know he loves her and he is there for her. He listens to the Spirit to know how to help her. Besides that, his instruction is amazing and he teaches the kids to think, talk, reason, explore and share.

Mr Haymond was an incredible influence on Austin. They would talk for hours about philosophies, economics, the downfalls happening in our country, religion, fatherhood, and they would share testimony of their Savior. Austin was moved by him. Our family has been greatly blessed. (Austin constantly quoted him!)

This week Mr. Haymond mentioned to me that he was going to Oakland for a wedding. He said wouldn't it be fun it he saw Austin! To mom, that is more than fun! That is awesome. Austin happened to mention in his letter that he would be in Oakland the exact days Mr. Haymond would be there. Austin had a meeting. I passed on the info to Mr. Haymond.

Friday, I got a text from Mr. Haymond. He said he was at the church where Austin was having his meetings. He sent a picture of the note on the door that said, "Meeting in Progress!" Can I tell you how much I LOVE this picture. My son walked by that door! Anyway, he didn't have any luck finding him and he had to go to his wedding. Later, I got another text telling me he went BACK to the church and was able to see Austin. He said Austin saw him, but he wasn't able to talk to him. Later, I got a picture (see below) of Mr. Haymond with Austin! I bawled.



I got to talk to Mr. Haymond later. He said Austin did not want to come out of the meeting. Okay, I am his mother and I know he really wanted to go running out of that meeting to Mr. Haymond, but Austin being the ever obedient son didn't dare leave fearing he would be doing something wrong. Finally, Mr. Haymond was able to get him out of the meeting. He said Austin was hesitant to talk to him because it was as if Austin was afraid talking to him would distract him from missionary work! Love that he is so obedient, but please son, chill out!

I hope Mr. Haymond knows that his visit was a thrill for Austin. That is the greatest teacher ever. What commitment. Even to a former student, he is loving, he is committed, and he is kind........I could go on and on. I wish my silly boy had let his true feelings show and had ran to hug him, but I know that strong obedient streak that kept him thinking he should be in his meeting.  Mr. Haymond can't be offended by that. He is the one that really reinforced to Austin that you live by integrity. He taught Austin to give what you are assigned 110%. We did too as parents, but there is just something about kids listening to someone who is not their parent!

Thank you Mr. Haymond! As parents, we are so grateful for the influence you have had on our two kids. And we hope you get Alex! He will be so blessed to have your guidance in your life and so will we. If you ever wonder if you are doing anything that matters, know you are. No amount of money could ever replace what you have done to the many kids you have taught. Your life has mattered to many. That is the greatest compliment.

Mr. Haymond also took a video of Austin. I can't wait to see it!


Comments

Nate said…
What a wonderful coincidence (not) that allowed Austin to meet his teacher in Oakland!

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...