Skip to main content

And the winner is....

Everyone! Yep, that is right, Austin and his debate partner walked away with a tie. After 4 rounds of preliminaries, two teams met for the final debate. Both teams did well. Both teams scored 685 points. Both teams will receive trophies. To me, since I hate to see anyone lose, this was a great ending. Austin of course wanted the official kill. We are so glad to see him happy and healthy. These are pictures of Austin and his partner and the team they debated against. Also there is a picture of Austin in actual debating action! Isn't he cute?!

Austin also had a big post-surgery doctor's visit this past week. The doctor said everything looked great. He has gained all his pre-surgery weight back...except for 2pounds! This is thrilling since it took us a year last time. Things went well enough we are now on the 6 month doctor visit plan. That is such an improvement. Instead of sending reports every two weeks to the hospital we can go to every month. We send reports by hooking Austin up to what looks like a computer mouse. It sits on his defibrillator. It is connected to a box that feeds the info across the phone lines. He is so happy to go to once a month!


The doctors did enter Austin into another study. This make 3 studies he participates in. We are so glad for these opportunities if it will help someone else born in the future with Austin's heart defect. This one is a DNA study. They have always assumed that congenital defects are just by accident, but now with improved DNA testing they want to see if it really isn't hidden in the DNA somewhere. They took Austin's blood, my blood and Jay will give his this week. They also need family medical histories to see if there is anything in the family.

Comments

Lisa~~ said…
Glad to hear that Austin is doing so well medically and I'm wishing him only good health in the future.
Anonymous said…
So glad Austin is doing great. That is good news that you can go to once a month reporting. Congratulations on your debate win:)
Valorie said…
Way to go Austin. I was in debate one year in high school, it freaked me out everytime I had to get up and speak. That is surprising to me since I love to argue and you can't shut me up!
Anonymous said…
My husband has a family with heart issues. The medical community is now recognizing it is hereditary. They used to sat=y it wasn't, but many now they know.

Austin is a handsome guy!
Claudia said…
Congrats, Austin! (On both the health and debating fronts). Since you are such a successful debator, can we look forward to hearing you in the 2032 presidential debates?
The Stanley's said…
Maybe it's not too late for this years election. We could get Austin out on the speaking circuit!

Congratulations on your success. My brother-in-law was a great debator throughout high school and college. Now he is a successful lawyer. What do you think you'd like to do?

Also, I will be very interested in the genetic testing.
hooli said…
yeah austin!
ps -- i'm sure you're not looking for us when you say medical histories. but i'll be curious about DNA correlations as Mason was born with what they called a "generous heart".
Glenda said…
It was so fun to have you here to spend a little time with us. It was a riot at the cemetary!
grandma GiGI said…
Well, as i've said before..Austin is incredibly handsome and so smart. Love that kid.

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...