Skip to main content

I walked 12 miles and I have proof.

On our quick trip away, I went for a morning walk. I walked 6 miles. I have been trying to loose weight and have done very well (23pds so far), but the last 15 just DO NOT want to come off. I thought this walk might be great. It was too. The golf course and homes I walked by were wonderful and the mountains were breathtaking. One problem though. Later that day Jay and I took the kids on a hike.

We were told the hike was 1/2 mile. We could do that with the kids, okay Maylin, with no problem. And she did great that 1/2 mile, but when we still weren't at the Indian drawings we were hiking to, I thought maybe they meant 1 1/2 miles. After carrying Maylin on my shoulders and hip for a mile, we came to a sign that informed us the hike was 3 MILES each way. By this point, we couldn't turn around. So I carried Maylin for the duration. Where was Jay you ask? He was trying to get Maylin to ride on his shoulders, but that was met with screaming, kicking, and flopping around like a fish out of water. This made the hike incredibly difficult, thus she got her way and I carried her.

It was worth it. The drawings were incredible and the kids loved it, but by the next day....I couldn't walk very well and I have the blisters on my toes to prove it. I guess I should have walked those 12 miles in tennis shoes not dress flats. I also got my hair done. I think I have mentioned that Maylin is incredibly attached to my hair. She loves to rub it, as you can see from the picture of her on my shoulders she spent A LOT of time doing my hair on that hike. Nothing like a new hair-do to go along with the blisters.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow! Congratulations on the weight loss!
The Stanley's said…
I love this post. Warms me up. You look great Laurel.
I love the pic of you carrying Maylin :)

You made the right choice to head out of town and go SOUTH! It SNOWED, rained and has been miserable here.

You have such great kids. I love to see the fun you have together as a family.

Love you
Kim
Dione said…
Did you enjoy the head massage? Or were you hurting too bad from all that walking and carrying? If you needed something to jump start those last 10 pounds, I think you found it!

You are a great mom! And you look super!
Anonymous said…
The hike sounded fun despite all. Congratuations on the hike and the weight loss. I am sooooo jealous. I keep gaining what you are losing:)
Claudia said…
So I don't know if you've heard, but we're gonna be in your neck of the woods in a week, (fly in Wednesday night), and then your sister is picking us up Friday morning and taking us up to IF. Can we stop by for a visit?
Lisa and Tate said…
You rock girl!!! What cool ROCKS also! I love me some good petro/pictographs. You must share the location of these.

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...