Skip to main content

Stupid is, as stupid does

Today, I was stupid. Really stupid. When I woke up this morning the first thing I saw was a big black spider crawling on my ceiling. I watched it for several minutes as it crawled over to the side of the ceiling above one of my overstuffed chairs. I thought I could easily hit it now. I found a back scrubbing brush, wrapped toilet paper around it because I did not want to ruin the brush with spider guts and climbed onto the back of the overstuffed chair. Yea, you see the stupid part. Never, never stand on the back of a chair. I know, but I really thought the chair was overstuffed enough and low enough that it would never flip. Famous last thoughts.

So, just as I hit the spider the chair lifted off its two front legs and teetered on it back legs. It hit the wall behind it causing me to fall. I fell against our night stand which has an inch thick slab of marble on it. I bounced off that and hit the window sill on the way to the floor. I laid their for at least 10 minutes. Maylin was with me and kept asking if I was okay. I was silently crying. After 10 minutes and I still couldn't get up, I had her go wake Kenzie. She came and asked me lots of good questions and after a few more minutes helped me up.

When I stood up, I found my lamp shade had been bent, my granite top had been pushed off the nightstand and into the wall and I could not walk. I could tell nothing was broken, but that my nerves were pinched in my right leg. It took most of the day before I could use that leg. All day I have suffered from back aches, inside aches and a headache. Tonight I took off my clothes and looked in the mirror and the right side of my body from the bum up is covered with lovely bruises. They are deep bruises too. I guess this is why my insides hurt.

I really don't know what came over me. I know better. So here is a friendly reminder, don't stand on the back of a chair, please.

Oh yea, I missed the spider. I watched it crawl off as I laid on the floor in pain.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bless your heart. And your poor body. Feel better soon!
Lisa~~ said…
Oh poor you, hope those bruises heal quickly.
The Stanley's said…
I am sure it would have made a great home video!! I should have been there with a bag of frozen peas! Sorry about the pain and suffering and the bruises. I am sure it doesn't help to think that the spider is still loose in your bedroom...
Dione said…
It could be worse... It could have been Drake, the tarantula.

Ouch! I'm sorry. But your room sounds beautiful!
Circe said…
Oh, I wish I was closer so I could take Maylin for you! My mom fell off a chair and had to have knee surgery. So...it could have been worse?? Feel better!
M3 said…
Oh no!!!! That stinks, really stinks. Sending really gentle, non-squeezing hugs, and hoping those bruises go away quickly. Sheesh.
Rachel said…
Oh no! It's awful that such a little annoyance could cause so much trouble. I HATE spiders. But you need your revenge. You should find it and finish what you started.
Anonymous said…
Oh, I'm so sorry. Just what you need after going through physical therapy for your hip.. Hope you are recovering. Ouch! Oh, and thanks for the advice.
Bethany said…
Oh my gosh, this is horrible. Not only injuring yourself but having to watch that spider crawl off triumphant. It sound like something out of the film arachnaphobia (sp?)
I hope you are feeling better.
grandma GiGI said…
Oh Lolly! That's certainly not good news..I'll call later.
Rebecca said…
Laurel, I hope that you are feeling better. It amazes me what the fear if spiders will make people do. I for one have balance on a plastic outdoors chair and jumped to mush the spider so now it is time for your revenge.
The Stanley's said…
To your response--Yes, they are! However, they have also moved away from MN also. It was a very nice day. The sealing was held in YOUR room in the Mt Timp temple. Good memories!
Sorry, I needed a laugh today. I have done many stupid things like that. Hope the bruises are gone.

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...