This week has been a whirlwind. I swear I have been to more doctors lately than most of last year. Jay had something removed from his arm....its gross looking and don't know what it is yet, Kens had her cast put on (No surgery!!! Happy dance!) and Austin had a dermatology appointment. I kind felt bad for Maylin. I think she has sat in the car seat more than not. So, to make up for it today we had a tea party. We made fancy PB&J sandwiches, drank cocoa and had wafer cookies! It was so fun. She said her name was Sally and her honey's name was Joe. They had 20 kids. The oldest was 17 and the youngest was 2. She said she was from Idaho and all her kids had yellow hair. She said her hubby built houses and churches. We had a great time pretending. She then wanted to go to the mall and have a pretzel! I defiantly had to comply. Who could pass up her cuteness and a pretzel with cheddar cheese sauce!
Kens is enjoying her cast. I hate that I have to help her dress, do her contacts and hair. I hope she catches on to that soon. I don't mind it, understand, I just hate it when I don't do it "right". A 14 year old's expectations are very high. I remember the need to look good at that age and poor girl, has a mom that isn't to good at that kind of thing. She still is able to chat on the phone. At least it hasn't affected that activity.
Also, I tried a kick boxing class last night. I am S.O.R.E.everywhere! In fact, my hands are shaking as I type this...too much work for sore muscles I guess. It was fun. I am just not feeling how fun it was today.
Now. If you are squeamish DO NOT LOOK AT THE BELOW PICTURES!
We raised Cornish Game Hens. I don't know why I decided to do this. The kids want to raise them again...me, not so much. So they turned 3 months this week, so it was time to kill them. The boys killed them, cleaned them, de-feathered and skinned them and then passed them on to me for the final cleaning and freezer prep. They weigh about 5 pounds each. We have 10. It is good food storage and it was a good experience for the boys. They worked for hours in 18 degree weather. Still I don't know if we will do it again. Remember, there is blood and dead chickens so don't look at the below pictures if you are grossed out by that.
Kens is enjoying her cast. I hate that I have to help her dress, do her contacts and hair. I hope she catches on to that soon. I don't mind it, understand, I just hate it when I don't do it "right". A 14 year old's expectations are very high. I remember the need to look good at that age and poor girl, has a mom that isn't to good at that kind of thing. She still is able to chat on the phone. At least it hasn't affected that activity.
Also, I tried a kick boxing class last night. I am S.O.R.E.everywhere! In fact, my hands are shaking as I type this...too much work for sore muscles I guess. It was fun. I am just not feeling how fun it was today.
Now. If you are squeamish DO NOT LOOK AT THE BELOW PICTURES!
We raised Cornish Game Hens. I don't know why I decided to do this. The kids want to raise them again...me, not so much. So they turned 3 months this week, so it was time to kill them. The boys killed them, cleaned them, de-feathered and skinned them and then passed them on to me for the final cleaning and freezer prep. They weigh about 5 pounds each. We have 10. It is good food storage and it was a good experience for the boys. They worked for hours in 18 degree weather. Still I don't know if we will do it again. Remember, there is blood and dead chickens so don't look at the below pictures if you are grossed out by that.



Comments
Not so fond of your dead chickens! But hopefully they will make great meals:)
I don't know how you allowed the boys to harvest {right word??} those hens. Ours are friends with names, I couldn't eat them. But now I know where to go if we are ever desperate. Plus, I've seen your big stash in the basement :)
Kim
About 10 years ago my brother in law the air traffic controller, decided he wanted to get pigs. They lived on an acre in Prescott, AZ. They named the pigs Peekaboo and Pete. They got full grown and their neighbors reported them to the city because they couldn't have livestock. So again my brother in law, city boy air traffic controller decided he would butcher the pigs himself. And he did, never having done it. Amazed me. Later that week I was up and noting my sisters dinner she made, and I complimented her on her meatballs and they said, no they are "Pete Balls". They were pork meatballs made from Pete the big. LOL!
Cornish game hens, sound good. They have to come from somewhere, you must have a huge freezer!