We went to a Japanese steak house for dinner. The server, a darling girl, kept watching Maylin while taking our drink order. I don't think she took her eyes off her the whole time.
She then started to talk to Maylin and asked her where she was from. Maylin told her China. The girl said, "I am from China too! I am from Beijing. What part are you from." She said a few words to her in Chinese and at the point Maylin totally shut down. She wouldn't look at the waitress again. I told her Hubei and she said another waitress that was off that night was from Hubei.
She told us that most Chinese people look the same to Americans, but Chinese people could tell differences in each others' features. She said Maylin had very big, wide eyes especially for her age. She said this was a sign of beauty. She also told us her chin was different than most and was considered a beautifully shaped chin. I agreed with her that we too thought she was the most beautiful thing in the world.
The rest of the night was spent enjoying a great dinner and watching this waitress mother Maylin. She brought her an extra special bowl of crackers. She brought her handfuls of after dinner mints. She kept checking her drink. She would put her hand on her shoulder or touch her hair.
After dinner, Maylin did start to warm up to her. I was so glad. I was feeling rather badly after all the attention she was giving her.
The waitress asked us why we decided to adopt her when we had "Oh, so many children." We just explained that 3 wasn't enough and Maylin belonged to our family. She asked how long it took to get her, do we pick the child or does China, was it expensive, did we have to go there, how long were we there, etc. She hated to see us leave.
As we were going I wrote Maylin's Chinese name down for her....she was so fascinated by her Chinese name and thought she might want it written out. I gave her the city she was born in too. I also gave her our phone number and told her to find out what city in Hubei her friend was from and to let us know.
It was a very interesting experience.
She then started to talk to Maylin and asked her where she was from. Maylin told her China. The girl said, "I am from China too! I am from Beijing. What part are you from." She said a few words to her in Chinese and at the point Maylin totally shut down. She wouldn't look at the waitress again. I told her Hubei and she said another waitress that was off that night was from Hubei.
She told us that most Chinese people look the same to Americans, but Chinese people could tell differences in each others' features. She said Maylin had very big, wide eyes especially for her age. She said this was a sign of beauty. She also told us her chin was different than most and was considered a beautifully shaped chin. I agreed with her that we too thought she was the most beautiful thing in the world.
The rest of the night was spent enjoying a great dinner and watching this waitress mother Maylin. She brought her an extra special bowl of crackers. She brought her handfuls of after dinner mints. She kept checking her drink. She would put her hand on her shoulder or touch her hair.
After dinner, Maylin did start to warm up to her. I was so glad. I was feeling rather badly after all the attention she was giving her.
The waitress asked us why we decided to adopt her when we had "Oh, so many children." We just explained that 3 wasn't enough and Maylin belonged to our family. She asked how long it took to get her, do we pick the child or does China, was it expensive, did we have to go there, how long were we there, etc. She hated to see us leave.
As we were going I wrote Maylin's Chinese name down for her....she was so fascinated by her Chinese name and thought she might want it written out. I gave her the city she was born in too. I also gave her our phone number and told her to find out what city in Hubei her friend was from and to let us know.
It was a very interesting experience.
Comments
By the way... I finally posted on my blog and updated it... I notice you aren't a follower...:(