We live in a country that was based on freedom of speech, freedom of beliefs, and the opportunity to have differing political views. Lately, I have felt that our country was losing these basic principles and rights. Maybe it is just my perspective, but I have seen it be very unpopular and almost unsafe to say out loud a view that was not "politically correct." I truly began to wonder if anyone out there, could and would stand up against the strong waves of conformity and state their unpopular opinion. It is not so easy these days to have integrity. I will admit that I would hate to be the lone voice stating an opinion that was against popular beliefs, but I hope I would. I try to teach my children to have integrity which means not being afraid to stand up for what you believe even when it is unpopular, but I do, because I feel it is a wonderful personality trait and frankly it is becoming extinct.
Today, I was pleasantly surprised. Today, I read and heard about one, a young woman, that had integrity. She alone stated her beliefs, in front of a crowd, knowing it was unpopular, yet she was HONEST! Honesty, ahhhh, what a refreshing thing. I love it.
For those of you who missed it, Miss California proved that integrity still exists. In the Miss USA pageant, Miss California, a favorite, was asked in her interview if she supported gay marriage. Wow. What a question. However, she stood and spoke HONESTLY and said no, she did not. Hard? You bet. It was a gay judge asking the question. You know she knew she would be in trouble for her answer. You know she knew she would be hurting that judge's feelings. She knew it would cost her the crown. But, she had integrity and stood up to her beliefs! Bravo, Miss California!!!
The main reason this struck me with such power is that she is really being punished for her views. Heck, the judge was fighting for his views and this is okay. He is fighting not to be discriminated against. I understand that completely. So if his fight is against discrimination, then why discriminate against her? Discrimination goes both ways. If we want to be free of it, then let EVERYONE say their views without backlash. Miss California is entitled to her view. Period. The end. Their should be no backlash. Just like the opposing side should not receive backlash. It is this backlash that is taking away integrity.
Today the judge called her two horrible names. One started with a B. The other was so awful, even the news said it was too awful to repeat. I read an article that said the chairman of the California pageant said he was embarrassed by her. He wanted to know why she brought politics into it. Hmmm....she didn't ask the question. She just gave an answer. Talk to the other party about bring politics into it. Second, does this mean the chairman of the California pageant would prefer to have a liar represent the state? To make everyone happy she would have had to lie about her beliefs. Is that the better option? To me, whether I agree with a subject or debate, I would rather have the people be HONEST than LIE to me. So what if I don't agree with what they say? I prefer honesty. If I was the chairman, or the judge, or anyone else, I would think it was great that a young girl stood up for what she believed, even under such great pressure! Just like I think it is great that the judge asked the question. He had the right. So why couldn't she have the right to say her answer. No one is after the judge. So why be after the contestant?
I also feel the chairman had a right to express his feeling, but he also could have said something positive to her, like "hey, thanks for being honest. Thanks for being brave, I disagree with you, but you showed courage." (Maybe, he did, and it was just left out of the article.) Disagree, please, but don't beat the person to death with your words. I even think it is okay to let your words show displeasure, lets just leave out the name calling and I really hope her honesty didn't cause her to lose the crown. That would be "politically incorrect" in my view. Isn't disagreement what politics are about? The word needs to get out that we can all have our own opinion. Its okay, just don't take disagreement to punishment.
There are even questions if her corporate sponsors will pull their funding. Why? Did she break the law? That is how everyone is acting. Last time I checked honesty and having an opinion was upholding the law not breaking it.
I say Bravo to the judge for asking the question. You had the right. But, now I say Shame on you for punishing the girl for her own viewpoint. I say bravo to Miss California. I also say, please don't let the pressure get to you. Don't change your mind to conform. Don't change your mind to be politically correct. The world is a better place because we all can disagree!! Hang on to your integrity girl!! You could teach the world a lot. Honesty really is the best policy!
I hope we all can be motivated by this young woman. I know my kids will hear her story tonight. She is what our country was made of!
Today, I was pleasantly surprised. Today, I read and heard about one, a young woman, that had integrity. She alone stated her beliefs, in front of a crowd, knowing it was unpopular, yet she was HONEST! Honesty, ahhhh, what a refreshing thing. I love it.
For those of you who missed it, Miss California proved that integrity still exists. In the Miss USA pageant, Miss California, a favorite, was asked in her interview if she supported gay marriage. Wow. What a question. However, she stood and spoke HONESTLY and said no, she did not. Hard? You bet. It was a gay judge asking the question. You know she knew she would be in trouble for her answer. You know she knew she would be hurting that judge's feelings. She knew it would cost her the crown. But, she had integrity and stood up to her beliefs! Bravo, Miss California!!!
The main reason this struck me with such power is that she is really being punished for her views. Heck, the judge was fighting for his views and this is okay. He is fighting not to be discriminated against. I understand that completely. So if his fight is against discrimination, then why discriminate against her? Discrimination goes both ways. If we want to be free of it, then let EVERYONE say their views without backlash. Miss California is entitled to her view. Period. The end. Their should be no backlash. Just like the opposing side should not receive backlash. It is this backlash that is taking away integrity.
Today the judge called her two horrible names. One started with a B. The other was so awful, even the news said it was too awful to repeat. I read an article that said the chairman of the California pageant said he was embarrassed by her. He wanted to know why she brought politics into it. Hmmm....she didn't ask the question. She just gave an answer. Talk to the other party about bring politics into it. Second, does this mean the chairman of the California pageant would prefer to have a liar represent the state? To make everyone happy she would have had to lie about her beliefs. Is that the better option? To me, whether I agree with a subject or debate, I would rather have the people be HONEST than LIE to me. So what if I don't agree with what they say? I prefer honesty. If I was the chairman, or the judge, or anyone else, I would think it was great that a young girl stood up for what she believed, even under such great pressure! Just like I think it is great that the judge asked the question. He had the right. So why couldn't she have the right to say her answer. No one is after the judge. So why be after the contestant?
I also feel the chairman had a right to express his feeling, but he also could have said something positive to her, like "hey, thanks for being honest. Thanks for being brave, I disagree with you, but you showed courage." (Maybe, he did, and it was just left out of the article.) Disagree, please, but don't beat the person to death with your words. I even think it is okay to let your words show displeasure, lets just leave out the name calling and I really hope her honesty didn't cause her to lose the crown. That would be "politically incorrect" in my view. Isn't disagreement what politics are about? The word needs to get out that we can all have our own opinion. Its okay, just don't take disagreement to punishment.
There are even questions if her corporate sponsors will pull their funding. Why? Did she break the law? That is how everyone is acting. Last time I checked honesty and having an opinion was upholding the law not breaking it.
I say Bravo to the judge for asking the question. You had the right. But, now I say Shame on you for punishing the girl for her own viewpoint. I say bravo to Miss California. I also say, please don't let the pressure get to you. Don't change your mind to conform. Don't change your mind to be politically correct. The world is a better place because we all can disagree!! Hang on to your integrity girl!! You could teach the world a lot. Honesty really is the best policy!
I hope we all can be motivated by this young woman. I know my kids will hear her story tonight. She is what our country was made of!
Comments
Many of us agree with you.
p.s. What do you know about peanut oil. Can it be used the same as veg. or anyother cooking oil? You're the professional on this stuff.