Skip to main content

Oatmeal

I haven't done a post on food storage for awhile. So here is some quick info.

Rolled Oats: This is a fancy word for oatmeal.

•Uses - Breakfasts, homemade granola, cookies, add to bread, filler in meat loafs or casseroles, thickener for soups/stews. I love to grind it and add it to my bread. It is so yummy and adds to the nutrition. It is also awesome in chocolate chip cookies. I have put it in whole or I have ground it in my blender. Either way it is good.

•Types - There are two types: quick rolled oats or regular rolled oats. Quick oats cook faster but regular oats keep their flavor and nutrition better.

•Storage - If unopened, shelf life (optimum) is up to 8 years. If opened it should be used within 1 year. It is recommend storing large amounts in an airtight plastic container and then pulling out a smaller amount every few months for your actual usage. This smaller amount could be stored in your normal everyday pasticware. I have used it when it has been older and it tastes fine it probably just looses some of its nutritional value.

**Also Alex is slowly recovering. He ate a 1/2 a piece of pizza and drank part of a Boost. He was also awake for several hours. That is a good thing.

Comments

Valorie said…
I am so sorry Alex is still sick. I know how big those shots can be, they are awful painful. We hope he gets better really soon. It is so hard to see your kids suffer with things.
Lisa~~ said…
Happy to hear that Alex is doing a bit better.

I hear that you are the Queen of food storage and I have your addy should anything ever happen so if you hear knocking on your door, it just might be us!!
Eliza2006 said…
I love the food storage posts. Makes me want to go buy oatmeal in bulk!
Glad the boy is starting to feel better.

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...