Skip to main content

A few hours on an island

With everything as wild and hectic as they have been, I needed a few hours away. I packed a cooler full of lunch stuff and donuts....have to have that, and we headed out to a local island. I am sure those who know where I live, know what I am talking about. It took us over an hour to get there and we had to be somewhere by 3- so we only got to literally spend a few hours, but it was so worth it. I needed a break from the world and all the chaos that is in it. Those few hours gave me that much needed peace.

Jay couldn't come, obviously, but the kids and I had a great time. We found a beach area on the island first thing and had a picnic. We all have voted and the best thing at lunch were the Old World Table chips that were salt and pepper flavored! Yum. We enjoyed watching the seagulls come in and eye us for any dropped food. Okay, every one buy Maylin. They scared her. After lunch we high tailed it down to the water. The kids walked out a really long way to a sandbar where they spent time making Tangled's castle. On the way back to shore they skipped rocks. I enjoyed watching them from the beach and watching all the foreign, male tourists in their speedos.....not in the way you would think. They were in their 70's. I was trying to figure out how they had the confidence to wear something so small and wondering if after seeing Americans in their long trunks, if they would change.
 

 

 
After the beach we enjoyed a drive around the island. We saw antelope and buffalo.
We tried a hike, but because it has been so cold and wet here, the bugs were in droves in areas that were away from the water. We also drove to the island ranch and enjoyed seeing everything there. The houses on the ranch were on their original foundations since 1848. It was pretty cool.
 
Even though it was a short day and reality came back within a few hours, it was a great break. I also crossed off my list an item that is under the column, "We have that near our home? Mom, why haven't you ever taken us there?!"
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Circe said…
You make it look so pretty. What about the brine flies? Not a problem? I want to go!!
Valorie said…
Wow! I have no idea where your little island is but it looks like such a fun break. Your pictures are perfect.

by the way, I still have Austin's grad card I just rediscovered today and will get it off in the mail! I redefine snailmail. So proud of him and love all your fam.
That looks so fun. You'll have to keep posting these local secrets you find :)

Kim
Nate said…
Wow that looks like fun! So amazing how you find time to do the really important things with your children:)
Anonymous said…
Your kids are so lucky! They even enjoy each other on these outings!
Great! Was the water quite salty?
Lisa~~ said…
Looks like a wonderful place to get away from day to day life.
The Stanley's said…
I wish we could have met you on the island. I love it there.

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...