Skip to main content

Waimea Canyon

We moved for the last few days of our trip to a condo that was in PoiPu. This gave us a more touristy view of the island. It was dryer on this part of the island too. We came to this side of the island, not only for the sights, but to be close to Waimea Canyon. This is like the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. Jay and I flew across it on our helicopter ride, but this was our chance to explore it first hand. We drove up the canyon and stopped at each look out point. Holy cow, it was breath taking. The views from the top down over the Na'Pali Coast, were breathtaking and were areas we had seen on our raft trip a few days before. It was so interesting to see them from this angle. It was so beautiful.

At one point, we could see this huge waterfall and people walking on this ledge toward it. We had a hike planned to the top of an 800 foot waterfall and when I saw them hiking on this ledge, I really hoped that was NOT our hike. I was nervous. However, once we were on our hike, I discovered that it was. I will post more about that hike in the next post. It was a hike of a life time and deserves its own post. 

We had a picnic in a great park in the canyon. It was so fun. We even saw chickens in the canyon. There were chickens all over this island and in the weirdest places. The drive was beautiful and we had fun seeing places where certain movies were filmed like 6 Days and 7 Nights (we watched this the first day in Kauai so it was fun to see the places in real life.)

The views of the canyon were awesome and it was fun to see the helicopter tours flying around. Jay and I tried to get a picture together at one of the view points, but Alex tried to photobomb. Once he got in on the action, then the girls did too. It ended up being a squeeze mom and dad photo op with Austin holding the camera encouraging the mayhem. The kids were all over in our shots and we never got one alone together. Oh well. It was a good laugh. The kids were hot so we got them a refreshing drink of coconut milk right out of the coconut. There was a great fruit stand at one of the look out points. It was really fun being in the car together. We found a song that we dedicated as our Kauai Christmas Vacation Theme Song. We played it every time we were in the car. It was awesome and we had so much fun singing and being together. Alex brought a straw hat with him, but during the trip it got broken so he pulled the rim off. The boys thought they were so funny only wearing the top part of the hat. They took turns wearing it. There are pictures below. We loved the flowers and beauty. It was a good day. Once we had stopped at all the lookouts, we drove down to the one where our hike started. We spent the next 3-4 hours doing the hike. The next post will be about that. 




Photo of me taking a photo of the kids taking a selfie.


Jay tries his hand at a selfie. He needs more work.






That waterfall at the top of my head is the one we hiked to the top of. When we were looking at it from here, we did not realize that is what we were going to do. When we did realize it, I think we all got a little nervous. It seemed so high.








Closer look of the waterfall we hiked too. The red ledge there on the left is where the path was. Seeing it from that view point we thought those hikers were crazy. We would never do that. Funny when we found out it was our hike.


The mayhem begins with the parent photobomb.....




Alex didn't think he was in it enough so he walked closer to the camera. I think there were about 15 more shots of the kids "ruining" our picture.





I was getting squeezed so hard and Jay was tired of the wildness so he decides to walk off. So much for a photo.



















Comments

Golda Cristine said…
That looks spectacular! I love your family!

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...