Skip to main content

For the birds

Two weeks ago we saw a male and female Mallard duck in our yard. Jay got a picture. A few days later, when I opened my window in my room the female duck ran out onto the lawn. Later that day I went looking, but saw nothing. This week when I opened my window again, she came out onto the lawn from the side of the house. I went exploring again and this time I found a nest that she had built at the base of a bush under my window. It had 6 eggs in it!!!

This morning the mama duck was sitting on her nest. Isn't she cute? Soon we will be the proud nest providers to a duck and her babies.
 

Two hawks were dive bombing our yard today, Aus and I ran to shoo them. They left, but the mother duck took off after that too. Guess our rescue efforts scared off her too. We are hoping she will come back, but that the hawks won't!

By the way, the robin has made my kitchen widow its permanent target. We are getting use to the thump, thump, thump.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Rebecca said…
Laurel, that is so cool! We have seen the Mallard pair in our yard resting and eats stuff off the grass. I am glad that you get to see nature in action. I hope the duck comes back! I am so excited to see baby fluff balls in your back yard!
Circe said…
Awesome! I hope the mother duck came back after the mean hawks scared her! Keep us posted!
Lisa~~ said…
Very cool. We have a duck that makes a nest under Maisie's bedroom window every year but we have yet to see a chick make it...unfortunately. Funny about your robin as we have one too which is constantly trying to get into our family room transom windows. The bird drives Maisie batty as she's always trying to shoo it away.

Hope Aus is feeling well and all is well in your home. I'm so excited to see all of you so very soon!
Anonymous said…
That is so great you have ducks nesting in your yard. Neat experience for your kids!

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...