Skip to main content

Happy Mother's Day!

I have never really liked Mother's Day. I will admit it. I think it is because my mom never really did. I guess I felt like for one day everyone tried to be nice and then the rest of the year it was do, do, do and work, work, work with very little notice. Wrong, I know, but that is how I felt. I really felt like the world should give the respect Mothers deserve all year long, just not on one day.

Well, this year, I decided to take it for what it was and I LOVED it. First, my parents came for the weekend. It has been years since I was able to have them for Mother's Day. Friday night we attended a Remembering Nauvoo Night at the kids' school. Austin was in the choir and Kens was a door greeter. The dinner was wonderful and my children were amazing! It was wonderful to watch my mother be so proud of my children.
 


Saturday, we had a Mother's Day dinner. I went all out with roast, mushrooms, homemade rolls, banana cream pie and we ate on our dining room table that hasn't been used for a year! I really wanted my mom to feel special. She is a great woman and the older she gets and that I get, the more I appreciate her goodness. We also played cards before they had to leave to head home. It was a great day. I got really sick that night, without warning. I hope my parents don't get it. Knock on wood. A cold hit me so hard. Today, I am doing better.
 

 

This morning the kids let me sleep in and then they all brought me their cards and gifts. Kens bought me a darling mug. Austin gave me a card with a "Your mother's day gift is in Israel. I will bring an olive wood carving of something home to you then." Alex gave me a great necklace and Maylin gave me a potted Pansy she had made in preschool and a bracelet. Jay got me a camera lens!!!! I have been wanting one for years! I messed around with it for a few minutes today. It is fabulous! Lots of things to learn tho'. Here are a few of my first shots.
 

We also attended church where Austin spoke in sacrament. He spoke on the sacredness of womanhood. He wrote his talk by himself. It sounded so grown-up. I was so proud of him! He is such a fine young man. Jay has headed off to Idaho to work. He will be back in a few days. The kids have promised to behave for the rest of the day. Knock on wood, again.

After church we sat on the patio and watched the kids play tag in the yard. It was so weird/wonderful/sad/happy to watch my kids be so big and then watch this little kid join in and see the big ones, swoop in and love her. Jay asked me if I wanted more. I said no. Confidently! Maylin has filled the hole that was missing. We are totally complete. Everyone in our house agrees. I thank her birth mother today, for sharing her daughter with us. I am sure that it was a sad thing for her to leave her. I know it was all she could do. I feel so sad that she is missing knowing this wonderful child. Maylin and I have talked about her "China mom" today. She loves her and I am glad. I hope she, somehow, can feel that love.

To all the great mom's out there....those whose blogs I follow....and those who are my family and friends, thanks for teaching your children kindness, honesty, truth and integrity. I hope I let you know how great you are in every comment I leave or conversation we have. You are amazing women! The world will be a better place because of your efforts.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

M3 said…
Happy Mother's Day Laurel!!
You're an amazing mom and I'm so glad you had a wonderful day.
Lisa~~ said…
Glad that you celebrated your day, you deserve it. Happy Mother's Day, today and every day of the year!
It sounds like I needed to swing by yesterday for some roast and mushrooms. I've eaten all day (at my mom's) and it's still making me hungry to think about!

I also had the experience of growing up with a mom who didn't like mother's day at all. I didn't understand the complexities of her situation, and still don't completely, but I do now see how it can be 'hard'. I'm so glad that you had a great weekend. We did too.

I just saw your comment about the heart groups. I totally understand. I have only gone to a couple of events and even with my healthy Kai- I often feel uncomfortable. Either because someone has a child with a much more severe diagnosis, or a child with Kai's same diagnosis who didn't survive. I leave feeling lucky, but often exhausted. I can see how, when you were in the trenches of it 24/7, that re-hashing would be exhausting.

Can you believe that summer is almost here? I'm so ready. We'll go out to eat one of these weeks. And before you know it, it's bloggy time in your backyard. Glad that you got that new lens- there will be some cuties to photograph!

Love you
Kim
Circe said…
What great thoughts! Thank you for sharing. I am so glad you have that sense of completeness in your family, and as a mom. Your kids are pretty amazing. But I was glad to hear that Austin had some mischief in him, too. Thanks for the comment. It helps me put Freestone in context!
Anonymous said…
Happy belated Mother's Day. What a beautiful tribute to your mom. I am so happy Maylin is part of your family forever.
Anonymous said…
Hi, I found your blog through the salsa in china site. I am adopting from China as well, and I think I have information you might be interested in regarding your first referral. I didn't see a place to contact you via email, so you can email me at shcadogan@vassar.edu.
Lyn said…
Happy Mother's Day to you too! I hope that you're feeling better soon. I can't wait to see more pictures with your new lens!
Lyn
hooli said…
It looks like you made grandma eat with giant tongs.

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...