Skip to main content

The 80's are back, Jack!


Kenzie had an 80's dance at her school on Friday. I had a few 80's clothes she could have borrowed, but she wanted to have her own. Heaven only knows why. We went to the mall and went to a store called Forever 21. Should be named Forever 80's. Seriously, I thought I had gone back in a time warp. They had shirts with the young Madonna from the Like A Virgin days on them and half/flash dance shirts that said, "Like a Virgin" on them. I couldn't believe it. Are people actually buying this stuff again?

After we bought her stuff (even a lace glove) we had plans for her BIG 80's hair. On the day of the dance I took her to a salon and they crimped her hair and gave her BIG bangs and a BIG Madonna bow. I hate to admit it, but I was a Madonna lace bow wearer back in the day. Ahhh....what memories. I can still see me now in my parents white Lincoln Continental (we called it the Limo, it was four door) with the windows down, listening to Madonna on a very high volume, wearing my big bow and cheap pearl drop earrings and bracelets with my collar up. Which if my children read this they won't believe any of it since they say I am boring. Apparently, they think I turn the volume down on all the good songs and I dress like an old lady. Okay, the part about turning the music down is true....

McKenzie had a seriously tubular time at the dance. She even won "The Biggest Hair" award which was totally rad. She thought it was awesome fer shur! She danced with some preppie boys who were to the max. She even claims she is going to wear the stuff again. To which, I say, "Gag me with a spoon!" and that is "totally bogus."
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Catherine said…
LOL! Aside from the red hair Kenzie could be me in high school!! Oh the Final Net I used to go through! I think I bought that stuff by the case!

Leg warmers, tight pants, layered shirts. You looked awesome Kenzie!! Glad you had such a great time at the dance!
Glenda said…
You know you are old when your kids are wearing as retro what you used to wear cause it was "rad." And to think I am saying that about my "baby" sister!
Nate said…
Pretty Fun Stuff...glad Kenzie had such a good time:) Thanks for Emi's present. She loved it and wants to sleep with the Kukui nut lei.
Lisa~~ said…
Very fun and wow am I feeling old knowing that the style I wore is retro...already.

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...