Skip to main content

Help! I have nothing to read.

I have become a reader. I know I have posted that before so none of you are surprised to hear that...being a reader, I am in a dilemma tonight for I have nothing to read!

I finished my last book Friday night. I don't have a single book left that has not been read by me. I am literally impatiently waiting for the book store to open.

Recently, I read: The Descendants. That was pretty good. I enjoyed it. I read it while we were in Hawaii. Perfect fit! I can see why it was rated R at the movie, so if you aren't up for some language don't read it.

The Lady Bug Farm books: A year on Lady Bug Farm, At Home on Lady Bug Farm and Love Letters From Lady Bug Farm. Really fun and good. I liked them a lot!

The Elegance of the Hedgehog - A very good story, but I will admit hard to read for me. I had to sit with a dictionary or I wouldn't have known what the words meant! Seriously. It was really good though and I cried at the end. I loved the characters, the writing (except for the big words), the symbolism etc. I just wish the words had been easier. It was set in France and told the story of a 12 year old girl and a 50 ish woman who were brilliant. It was their story of how being so smart made them feel so different.

The PoisonWood Bible - Wow. That was a great one. Really moving. It is about a baptist preachers family who goes to Africa for their church. Very heart wrenching and it makes you take a look at the world and how we view others.

I also read Tuesdays at the Castle - This is a pre-teen book. It was good, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would because I read it right after the Poisonwood Bible and the substance was just so different. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to read such a light book after such a powerful one.

I have spent the evening on line looking at what I want to read next. I have quite the list. I will visit the book store tomorrow to get my fix.

Here are some pictures from the Dino museum trip we took awhile ago. I think I posted them, but they were so cute I had to again.

Oh, yes! Tonight we made sugar cookies...heart shaped of course and all decorated! We are sending them to Austin tomorrow. It was so much fun! The kids did a great job decorating.



Posted by Picasa

Comments

Rachel said…
I would recommend Sharon Shinn's Safe-keepers series. It's for young adults, but I really enjoyed them!

I would also recommend Robin Mckinley's Beauty, a reselling of Beauty and the Beast. :)
Circe said…
Have you read Unbroken? Must read! I loved poisonwood bible. How to save a life was really good. Team of rivals? You've probably read it, but if not, dig in. Loved it.
Nate said…
Thanks for the list Laurel, hope you are doing great! Also try A Heart for Freedom (about the leader of The Tiannaman Square rebellion who sneaked out of China and ended up here.

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...