Skip to main content

Happy Chinese New Year

We went to a Chinese New Year's party this year on January 28. I am so glad we got invited! I got invited to one at Circe's, but it was two days before Austin was leaving and I just couldn't go. I kept thinking in the back of my mind that I needed to do something for Chinese New Year, but those thoughts just stayed in the back. I was so glad this invite came up because I really didn't want the holiday to go by without Maylin celebrating it.

There were two families there that we knew; the Browns and the Johnsons. It was fun to visit with them. Maylin had a good time doing crafts, but literally left with more glue and glitter on herself than on the paper.



Last time we went to this party (2 years ago), Maylin cried during the fireworks and we ended up inside. She did great this year and loved every minute of it.


At that same party, two years ago, Maylin wanted to participate in the parade, but by the end she was a nervous wreck. She wouldn't look at anyone, cried and acted so funny. This year she was just beside herself about being a dragon head. They let her and she was as proud as punch. She marched around with no issues at all! It is amazing what a little time will do to help with fears!
Posted by Picasa

This is Kai and Maylin. They are so cute!!!!















Kai's sister Pearl, helped Maylin so much that night. What a sweet girl.






















Kim Brown made this darling cake with the help from her kids! She got the idea from M3. I had always wanted to make one, but of course, haven't got around to it. I am so glad Kim made it so I could try it. It was delicious.

Here are some of my favorite shots from the evening.

Comments

Nate said…
Glad you got to go to at CNY party with all your happenings. I love the cake that Kim made:)
M3 said…
Oh it looks like you guys had such a great party!! We totally lamed out this year and just went out to dinner at the girls' fave Chinese restaurant. Next year!
Glenda said…
This is just an amazing tradition! I want to know more about that cake!

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...