Skip to main content

And they were good....

One of my favorite scriptures talks about knowing who our first parents are and knowing their deeds, so that we can remember them and know that they were good.

I have really been into genealogy the past few years. I have been in thralled with finding people, linking them together as families and learning something about their lives. It has been an amazing experience. I have loved learning about the families of those who have married into our family. They bring such great backgrounds to ours. I found that my dear, dear, family member Kathy, has a great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandpa who was a separatist in Scotland. He fought against the Church of England in hope that they would let people have religious freedom. He was persecuted and finally run out of his country, but he still stood strong. Wow. I love that.

I have been reading alot about my grandparents. One grandfather, I never knew. I have loved reading from my grandmother's journal about her concerns over a deck of cards. She wrote, "Today I bought the children a deck of cards. It will be interesting to see what effect they have on their lives, if any." (1938) What a wonderful mother! It caused me to reflect on what I am letting my children see, do, and read. I will now ask myself that same question.

The other day, I was reading an account of my great-grandmother. She was baptised at age 23 in a hot springs located in my town!!! Wow. I didn't know that. She was born and grew up in a town that borders mine, but it was so cool to read that she was baptised in MY town and in a hot springs that I had no clue existed. So, Sunday we took an excursion. We called one of the oldest living people in our town and asked about these hot springs. He said he knew right where they were. He had swam in them as a child. He gave us their location.....guess what? They were 20 feet behind my husband's office!!!! I had always wondered what that steam was rising from the ground behind the office in the winter. Now I know.

The kids loved seeing it and we read a brief life story as we sat by the hot springs. It was a great day. I felt close to this person that I did not know, but who was responsible for my existence. Her life history tells of an amazing woman. I hope I can be a bit like her.


Her she is in her old age, modeling her wedding dress that she wore in 1896. I hope I can still wear my wedding dress when I am that age. Also, below are pictures of her baptismal place, the hot springs.
 
Olive Jeanette "Nettie" Crump Butterfield


 

 
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Glenda said…
Thanks a bunch....I appreciate knowing those things. Keep it up.
Katherine said…
You are a Butterfield. Wow! What a really neat story to live so close to a meaningful place like the baptismal site of an ancestor. Keep up the research because I want to be related to you!
The Stanley's said…
Oh and that previous post was really mine. I just didn't know Kat was signed in. : )
That is inspiring me to get going on geneology again. Your lesson on Sunday was GREAT...as usual.
Rebecca said…
Very Very cool! I loved your lesson on Sunday! I think the girls are really thinking about where they have come from! You are so great!
grandma GiGI said…
You are so amazing! I would never have known this even though I compiled these histories. So glad you have the spirit of Elija.
Anonymous said…
That is amazing! I like how you chose to share that with your children as well.
Dione said…
Very cool post! You rock! You've inspired me to start digging again!

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...