Skip to main content

Last days of school and school is OUT!

We have been so busy this week. Monday we had Alex's Civil War Days. His teacher Mr. Cornel is a major history buff and he owns so many authentic Civil and Revolutionary War relics it is amazing. He even has a canon. On Monday they were to have a march around the school, shoot muskets, set up a Civil War camp, but because of the 3 INCHES of SNOW that fell at the school, most of this was scrapped. They still did dutch oven cobbler and by late afternoon they were able to play town ball. The kids had so much fun anyway. Alex really enjoyed townball. There are 5 bases instead of 3, any hit counts as long as the ball changes trajectory and you get a person out by throwing the ball at them under hand. Here are some great shots. We bought a Civil War hat this past summer and Alex was proud to wear it.

Alex and his friends still try to do the Civil War march they practiced. They stayed in step very well.


Monday night was also Maylin's preschool graduation. It was frightfully cold so no one stayed long, since it was a picnic in the park. The kids sang the songs they learned, named the planets, the continents, and counted. It was darling. Isn't anything involving kids that age cute?!


Tuesday was field day at the school. I went and helped with the 5-8th grades. Austin's class was up in the mountains so I didn't get to see his field day, but he reported it was a very good time. Lots of boys, throwing girls into the river, made for a wonderful time. It was freezing though. I hope none of the girls get sick. At Kens and Alex's field day they played lots of games. The weather was warmer and they all had fun. The field day ended with an 8th grade vs. faculty kickball game. The Faculty one, but barely. It was fun to see the kids interact with each other. It was interesting to watch Alex be picked first for all the teams. Kens was picked last, just like I was. Kids even fought over who got to go first so they could pick Alex. I guess when the other kids catch up to Alex in height, it won't be that way anymore.! Maylin took a packed lunch and enjoyed playing on the "Swingdset".
 

 

 


Tuesday night we attended Kens' 8th grade graduation. It was a wonderful evening. The two 8th grade classes (34 kids) sang a wonderful musical number. The speakers were terrific and the refreshments...Costco cake was delicious! We were so proud of Kens. She looked so grown up. I can't believe she will be in high school next year. She seems too little. The picture of the quilt is the gift the 8th graders made and gave to the school. Each student embroidered their name under their picture on the quilt.
 
Posted by Picasa


Today was the last day and ended with an Awards Ceremony. Austin won for outstanding science. Alex won the Presidential Fitness Award. Classes wrapped up at 11:00 with each class kneeling together in prayer asking for safety over the summer. Alex came out of his class with "sand in his eyes." He was actually crying, but hey, we will let him use the sand excuse. Alex really loved his teacher. His teacher was amazing.

Austin's class ended with a great discussion. Four students are leaving for college. Twelve will be back to graduate. Even the girls from Hong Kong and Korea that were in his class are coming back after a summer at home. Austin and Kens talked about how great their year had been. I am so grateful for the opportunity for my kids to attend their school and that they love it.
This is the 11th grade giving Keewon, an exchange student from Korea, a good-bye hug. She will be back for next year, hopefully, if the winds of world turmoil don't prevent it. They also gave her copies of their written testimonies. This group has been together since 8th grade (there have been a couple of new kids like the exchange students) and because of this, they are extremely close. I love that. They will be friends forever.

Comments

Rebecca said…
Wow, looks like lots of fun. Welcome to High School Kenzie, you look beautiful! Looks like the field day was a blast, and I love the Civil War stuff.
The Stanley's said…
Great memories. What a neat school. Love the Civil War hat Alex!!!
Circe said…
Holy cow! I thought I was swimming in end of year activities. Apparently, it gets crazier as they get older!
Lyn said…
May schedules are always insane - but also so much fun!

Looks like your kids are doing great!

Lyn
Anonymous said…
Congratulations to all four of your kids and to you for making it to all those activities! You must be so proud of all of them. Your kids are great! I loved the closing prayer and how close Austin's class has become.
grandma GiGI said…
I feel so lucky...watching the kids in their activities makes me feel a little better since we can't be present at many of them.
Alex...so handsome!
McKenzie...bautiful!
Maylin....darling!
Austin....all of the above..

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...