Skip to main content

Experimental learning

At my kids' school, the take one week out of the year where they get to learn hands-on about some sort of subject. Last year Alex did Art. One year he did physical fitness. This year he did World Religions. They visited Buddhist, Hindu, LDS, Catholic, Muslim, Jewish and Greek Orthodox churches. They learned about their teachings and about their traditions. I went to the Hindu temple with them. It was interesting to learn about the religion, see their temple and they got to race llamas and see many gorgeous animals. The lady who taught us about Hindu, had a parrot she put down by Alex's lunch and let him eat off of his plate. She said they believe the parrot, or any animal is equal to people and the bird should be able to eat from Alex's plate. Alex was not thrilled. He was polite though and let it happen. Since they are vegetarians, they prepared for us a traditional lunch. It was very good. We learned a lot. Here are some of my favorite pictures. I videotaped the kids racing their llamas. Alex and his llama won. I didn't know how to post it though.

The kids also had a complete Seder service one day at the school so they could participate in this Jewish event.

Also, the theme this year at the school was I choose...... they had each student choose something they would focus on or choose to do. Alex choose to trust. See his photo below.













They showed us how they have taught the llamas to go up and down stairs. They let a few of the kids try. This is the lady who taught us about the religion. 







The students attended mass at the Cathedral of the Magdeline


Here they are at the LDS Welfare square where humanitarian aid is shipped to other countries and food for those in need is produced. 




Seder Service








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...