Skip to main content

Spring Break camping trip

I grew up in a family where our idea of camping was a cabin or a hotel. We weren't real tent and campfire people. I don't know why. It is just how we were. Girl's camp with my church group was fun, but I got to say I had anxiety every year over the whole tent thing, dark at night, cold showers and not being able to wear my contacts. Back then you had to plug in your contacts and boil them every night...... so glasses were the thing during camp. I wasn't thrilled with camping showers or lack there of and I definitely hated camping bathrooms. However, last year for Spring break, Alex and I went on an adventure hiking all over Utah. We loved Bryce Canyon and Escalante. We didn't get to spend much time in Escalante so we vowed to go back, but this time with the whole family.

I planned a camping trip for a few days over Spring break. All the kids could come, but Kens who did not have Spring break at the same time as the rest of us. We were sad she could not come. We first headed to St. George for a day so Alex could go to a concert with his girl friend. While he was doing that, we enjoyed custard in St. George, swimming, LDS General Conference and a park. The next day, we all loaded up and head to camp! Yes, real life tent camping and I was in charge. I had lots of good food planned and lots of great hiking. The hiking part, Jay and Maylin were not thrilled about, but they were good sports for mom.

On our way to Escalante where we were going to camp, we stopped in at Bryce Canyon to show the other family a brief look at what the Canyon has to offer. Last year Alex and I hiked every inch of it, but this time it was just a quick walk and a short drive to some of the most popular lookouts.

We finished our drive to the campground at Escalante and just missed the last camp spot so they put us in the overflow which ended up being a blessing. We shared it with a sweet family from San Franscisco. The mother was from China and their little boy loved Maylin and we ended up spending a lot of time together over our time there. 

Here are pics of our stop in Bryce Canyon. Maylin does not like heights and was very nervous over the whole thing. The first pic is of us on our way to St. George. We wore matching shirts just to bug the kids....



Custard! I had lemon oreo, so did Austin. Jay had a strawberry oreo. It was SOOOO good.





This park is so fun. We have been here before with my parents. Austin and Maylin had so much fun playing with each other. 









Jay took a nap while we were on the playground. He really fell asleep.

On our way to Bryce Canyon.






She was so nervous about being by the canyon. She couldn't wait to get back to the car.


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...