Skip to main content

February Heart Surgery

Austin's November surgery was a bust. The doctor (Dr. Grey) who tried to do it was so disappointed. He did not want to have to put Austin on the heart and lung machine again to replace the valve, but he knew he had to cut him open this time. This doctor was amazing! He went to work on a plan where he would open him up, put the valve in on a beating heart and close him up. He spent 3 months figuring out his plan. It was amazing, but scary.

On February 16, Austin went in for his pulmonary valve replacement. It would be done with a new, hybrid procedure. The cardiac  surgeon would be there to open his chest.....it would be the the lower half of his sternum this time and the incision would not be as long as usual. Then he would cut open his beating heart right below the pulmonary valve. Then they would turn off his pacemaker/defibrillator so it would not go off during this part of the surgery. Then they pumped him full of oxygen. They saturated him to 300%.  Then they stopped his breathing and they inserted a sleeve through an inch long incision just above his belly button.  Then Dr. Grey inserted through the incision in his heart the new valve and stint using a catheter and using the sleeve as his guide. They did some other things to secure the valve etc, but I don't know it was too much info. After that, they turned his breathing back on and he wouldn't have brain damage because they had saturated his body before hand. Then they turned back on the pacemaker/defibrillator (ICD) and did some other work. When it came time to close the incision in the heart they had to turn the ICD back off because the tool they use to stop the bleeding can set it off. They closed the incision in the heart and in his chest and placed a chest tube. The surgery took 4 1/2 hours.

The doctor said it turned out exactly as he had rehearsed it in his mind. He said it went to well and it was so secure they were going to try it out on other patients! We were so happy. Austin was in ICU for 3 days and then on the floor for one. Then they sent him home for a 6 week recovery. He was pretty sick for about 2 weeks and then he started to get better. He could not lift anything over 5 pounds for 6 weeks. He lost about 15 pounds, but it is back on now. The doctors learned a lot from this. Austin's nerve damage in his chest was more than they thought. It is because they usually don't open just that lower part of the chest where the muscles are different, thus causing more damage than normal. With time though his nerves have gotten better and they should continue too. This valve should last 10 years. They told him he should expect 6-10 more surgeries in his life time, but they were very hopeful (as this surgery proved) that technology would just get better.

Austin also had a panic attack in the ICU and right before the surgery. He had a bad one in his surgery in November too. They diagnosed him with PTSD, which is not surprising, considering all the trauma he has been through in his life. He is currently in counseling and doing very well. I think he started with the PTSD in 2008. Wish they had known earlier. They learned that too since then, that kids with as many surgeries as Austin often suffer from this. I am glad we have a reason for his anxiety and he is getting help now.

We were and are so grateful for the prayers that were offered in his behalf and for the faith that was given in his behalf. I know the Lord heard and answered.

Waiting room. Morning of 5:30 a.m.


Pre-op exam. All smiles.

Dr. Grey the miracle man.

Playing cards during the LONGEST 4 1/2 hours ever. 

We get to see him for the first time. 



This chest tube caused him so much pain. After we were home, he had a lot of pain where the tube was. We found it had given him a hematoma under the skin. 

Day two in ICU.

His nurses loved him. They enjoyed having an older patient for once that could talk to them. He had it at the Children's Hospital where he has had all of his surgeries. 

Working on that dang chest tube that caused so many issues. 

Getting up and going for a walk for the first time. 



They had these signs placed around the floor to motivate kids to walk. Austin thought they were hysterical. They helped him walk too even though he is older. 


Breathing treatments for lung problems. They couldn't get him off oxygen. 

Talking on the phone to this girl he was dating. He is now engaged to the said girl. 

Brother comes and takes him for a walk. I love this. 


Maylin was not allowed on his floor because it was RSV season, but the security guard let us sneak her to the lobby right outside his floor. He gave us 10 minutes. 


Brother has your back......love this pic. 


A mural inside the hospital. Austin loves nothing more than his Savior. 

He is pretty super!

Getting some of his IVs out! He hates IVs. 

Finally on the road home. We always take a pic of him as we are driving home from the hospital. He is such an inspiration.  We love him so much.



Nights were really rough. We had to set the alarm for every two hours for his meds. He could not get comfortable and really struggled. He put him upstairs in Kenzie's room so he was close to us and I could help him in the night. He slept a lot on the couch during the day. This pic was taken about 2 weeks post-op. He couldn't wear a shirt for the first week. He loved sitting in the sun and napping. 

Bed time. The least favorite part. We finally started giving him Tylenol PM and that really helped. 


My parents came to see him 2 weeks post op. They love him so much. 


Alex was getting his Eagle Scout award soon so my mom brought his blanket she made for him. 


My sister's sons came to see Austin for a few hours the same time my parents came for a visit. It was fun to see them all. Some of them Austin hadn't seen for 4 years. They live all over the U.S. 



His battle scars. They dotted line shows where the worst nerve damage was. They doctor's marked it at post op 4 weeks to make sure it was getting less and less over time and not more and more. He looks so good. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did I just hear that?

Today I was at W*lM*rt and I had the WEIRDEST experience. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it. I was at the self check out and the worker that handles those came over to Nini and put her hands on Nini's cheeks and literally put her nose against Nini's nose. Okay....don't know you, plus it is serious cold and flu season. I pulled the cart back quickly. The lady was talking to Nini and asking her how old she was and telling her how cute she is (she is that). Then she said to me, "where did you get her from?" That question threw me. I have been asked where she is from, what nationality she is, but never, "where did you get her from?" I said China, but was thinking, "does she think I got her from a store or something?" This was just the beginning of what was the MOST outrageous conversation I have ever been apart of. She asked me her name. I told her and she said, "Thank you! It makes me so happy to hear that name."...

Maylin's room

Here is an update on painting. The doors continue to be a nightmare. We don''t have doors on the girls bathroom and no doorknobs on any of the other doors. Hopefully next week. I love everything else. Many of you asked about the glaze in the kitchen. It is an oil based glaze that comes in black, white, brown. You roll it on with a small roller and then take it off with a rag, by blotting it. You can make it darker or lighter depending on how much you put on and how much you take off. Here are pictures of Maylin's room. I was scared to make a change with 2 colors, but I think I like it. I don't know if you can tell but on the pink paint it is a wash (first white swirly, then pink) with light white flowers like the top pink ones. I picked words to go around her room that may inspire her. The Chinese translation is underneath. Of course, we used Meng, that was her first name...Meng ni and they called her Nini. The words are in vinyl and the flowers were painted using a pa...

Happily ever after

NieNie Dialogues: April 15, 2019 Christian is the most important person in Stephanie's life. She made this post about him. She wrote about how much she loved him and he loved her. Every year she dedicates a song to him as they enter another year as husband and wife. She said, "Everyday I pray to God, thanking him for Christian. I thank God that he is my husband, my protector, and greatest defender. I thank God that Christian loves and respects me.......And I thank God that I will be with Christian forever and even to infinity and beyond." I am not married, but I related to this post because I love my dad. He is my protector and my provider. He really takes care of our family. He is so great. I can tell my mom loves him too. Even though it embarrasses me, I love to watch my parents hug and kiss. I am glad we are sealed together. After reading this post, I decided I needed to write in my journal characteristics I want in a husband. These are the things I wrote: Must l...